How does Organic feed vs non-organic feed for chickens affect the Egg quality?

Pics
I don’t think it has any influence on the actual quality of the egg. Just personal preference for the owner if they want their eggs to be organic. We feed Kalmbach organic 20% grower to our flock because we want our eggs organic. Now does that mean everything they eat is organic? Nope. We also throw scraps that aren’t always from organic sources. But the feed itself is always organic.

I don’t think it has any influence on the actual quality of the egg. Just personal preference for the owner if they want their eggs to be organic. We feed Kalmbach organic 20% grower to our flock because we want our eggs organic. Now does that mean everything they eat is organic? Nope. We also throw scraps that aren’t always from organic sources. But the feed itself is always organic.
How is the egg quality? If you don't mind my asking.

I use that brand too great stuff and it smells fresher than others

I feed only organic feed and our eggs are amazing but I’d do it even if it didn’t enhance taste. There are a variety of reasons people go organic. Organic cert assures non gmo. Recombinant DNA technology is performed on plants that are on the generally recognized as safe (GRAS) list and those plants are not then required to be proven safe to stay on that list. It’s a loop hole and eventually it could lead to serious issues. Another reason folks go organic is to avoid supporting the use of chemicals that leach into the environment and have unintended consequences on wildlife and drinking water. Another reason is to avoid being exposed to chemicals that bioaccumulate up the food chain, especially fat saluable chemicals that end up in the eggs and meat of chickens and then further concentrate in us. I source a lot of my organic wholesale so I don’t have to break the bank to do it, that’s true of the food we buy for our meals as well as the feed we give our chickens. We are not 100% strict organic eaters by any means but we figure we do what we can as we see fit and it helps support things we believe in.

They will taste the same. If you only feed chicken layer feed, they will taste like store bought. If they get a bit of scratch, get out to find some greens and get scraps the yolks will be more gold colored and I think they taste better.
Do you mean regular corn chicken scratch? We haven't tossed any of that to our flock yet because people on here seem to advise against it. But I have been curious to try it as an afternoon treat for them.

Scratch is fine as a treat, a very small part of their diet, occasionally.
We don't feed our chickens organic feed, because we don't eat only organic food ourselves. We do buy organic fruits and veggies whenever possible, and are careful sourcing meats.
Egg yolk color is influenced by the hen's diet, as mentioned, and fresh eggs do taste better, and look better, than store bought. Also nutritionally the egg can be better quality depending on the hen's diet, but organic vs. non-organic, same nutrition profile, doesn't matter.
It's a personal choice, more expensive, we all hope better for the environment.
Mary

How does Organic feed vs non-organic feed for chickens affect the Egg quality?
Let's look at the stats. I've got the facts. (Sorry needed to make the reference lol)

For years I used organic feed, convinced it was way healthier, putting more faith in that organic label than anything else.

In 2023, I started thinking about some things. I'd lost multiple birds for no reason. Organic feed is $30 for a 40lb bag, while one feed place near me has normal feed as $14 for a 50lb bag (!)

So here's how the stats turned out for each batch of birds I got last year:

March: Got some chicks from tractor supply and my own incubator. Used ORGANIC feed. Lost about three in the first couple weeks.

April: Got some chicks from a hatchery. Used ORGANIC feed. Lost about four.

May: Got more chicks from a hatchery. Used NON-Organic feed. Lost zero.

June: Got some turkeys from a hatchery. Used NON-Organic feed. Lost zero.

July: Got more chicks from a hatchery. Used NON-Organic feed. Lost zero.

November: Got more chicks from a hatchery. I got some of those for my nephews and nieces for Christmas, and out of respect for my brother's wishes, I used ORGANIC feed. Lost one the very first day.

Not making this up a bit. I'm just saying... double price for less feed just cuz of your unquestioned faith in that "Organic" label, then you see the results... has convinced me that it's a subtle scam.

Back
Top Bottom