How early can you wrap angel wing?

Orca5094

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Sweden
Hello! I have a 3-week-old Cayuga duckling who definitely appears to be developing angel wing in both wings. This is quite unfortunate as I tried my best to give her the correct amount of protein. Being in a new country that does not have a specific commercial duck food available (let alone duckling starter like I'm used to), I had to do my best with what they have to offer here. My only option was to feed adult food that is designed for many species of birds (including ducks) and supplement with some hard-boiled egg to make up for the extra protein needed. In retrospect, maybe she shouldn't have gotten the egg for quite as long? I stopped giving it to her when she was just over 2 weeks old.

She hasn't gotten her big girl feathers in yet, they are just starting to come in. I would assume it's too early to tape the wings to try and fix the problem since she is still growing so much at the moment? I wouldn't think it'd be ok to wrap wings and leave them for days at this age since they grow so fast, right? Is it best to wait a couple weeks until her adult feathers come in and then tape them? Seems like it'd be easier to fix right now while the wings are so small, but is it ok to leave those little wingers wrapped for a few days at this point? Is it possible for the condition to fix itself once her feathers come all the way in?

It's proved ridiculously difficult to get pictures of her little wings sticking out, but these are the best I could get:

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Hello! I have a 3-week-old Cayuga duckling who definitely appears to be developing angel wing in both wings. This is quite unfortunate as I tried my best to give her the correct amount of protein. Being in a new country that does not have a specific commercial duck food available (let alone duckling starter like I'm used to), I had to do my best with what they have to offer here. My only option was to feed adult food that is designed for many species of birds (including ducks) and supplement with some hard-boiled egg to make up for the extra protein needed. In retrospect, maybe she shouldn't have gotten the egg for quite as long? I stopped giving it to her when she was just over 2 weeks old.

She hasn't gotten her big girl feathers in yet, they are just starting to come in. I would assume it's too early to tape the wings to try and fix the problem since she is still growing so much at the moment? I wouldn't think it'd be ok to wrap wings and leave them for days at this age since they grow so fast, right? Is it best to wait a couple weeks until her adult feathers come in and then tape them? Seems like it'd be easier to fix right now while the wings are so small, but is it ok to leave those little wingers wrapped for a few days at this point? Is it possible for the condition to fix itself once her feathers come all the way in?

It's proved ridiculously difficult to get pictures of her little wings sticking out, but these are the best I could get:

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)
Looks like her feathers are just starting to come in and it's not the actual wing sticking out.

Ok, I got a better pic of it today while they were out in their pond. Do you see the wing tips sticking straight up? Am I freaking out for no reason? I hope so, but they really don't look right to me. What do you think?

Last edited:
So you think it's ok to keep them wrapped for a week right now, even though she's just starting to get her feathers in? Will that cause problems with those growing feathers?

Thanks for your help, and the link! :)

So you think it's ok to keep them wrapped for a week right now, even though she's just starting to get her feathers in? Will that cause problems with those growing feathers?

Thanks for your help, and the link! :)
Yoi know you don't want to wait till the blood feathers have come in all the way because it's usually to late. As long as you wrap snug but don't cut off the blood flow I can't imagine it being a problem with the new feathers coming in. You might want to do more research online about angel wing I've never had to deal with it, but I do know you want to take care of it as quick as you can. What you look for is the wings stick out like a hitch hikers thumb. I'm sure you have seen pics. When the duckling is standing and laying and swimming the wing tip stand up like that?

I think 3 weeks is too early to tell. And from those pictures you posted it almost looks like 2 different ducks. The one in the water almost looks like a Canada goose except for the head. I've wrapped goslings wings before but never a duck. If it were me I would wait a week or two and include some niacin in their feed and see how they develop.

Miss Lydia: Yes, the wings stick up like that all the time, when lying down, walking, swimming, etc. It's just easier to see when she's in the water since she's a little wet and her baby fluff isn't covering it. I have read up as much as I can about angel wing online, and I have seen it in my past work as an Avian Keeper. Unfortunately, those few times it was too late to fix the angel wing as the birds were too old.

SouthernPride: I will look into the niacin! I have no idea where I'd get that here in Sweden, but I will try my best to find some. Thanks! Also, I only have two ducks so it is definitely the same one in all the pics. ;) Just different lighting and she's a little wet in the second set. Thank you for your insight though, I will try to be patient and see what happens in the next week or two. I'm just paranoid about not fixing it in time.

Miss Lydia: Yes, the wings stick up like that all the time, when lying down, walking, swimming, etc. It's just easier to see when she's in the water since she's a little wet and her baby fluff isn't covering it. I have read up as much as I can about angel wing online, and I have seen it in my past work as an Avian Keeper. Unfortunately, those few times it was too late to fix the angel wing as the birds were too old.

SouthernPride: I will look into the niacin! I have no idea where I'd get that here in Sweden, but I will try my best to find some. Thanks! Also, I only have two ducks so it is definitely the same one in all the pics. ;) Just different lighting and she's a little wet in the second set. Thank you for your insight though, I will try to be patient and see what happens in the next week or two. I'm just paranoid about not fixing it in time.
If you can't find plain niacin try Brewers yeast, most natural food stores carry it.

Back
Top Bottom