How hard can it really be?? Rant!

Pics
Hi. Barron county wisconsin here. Cold now! Metal dog bowl on heated base isn't working. Freezing in 2-3 hours. I'm interested in your water solution. I've got 7 hens. Any advice appreciated.
Bigger water containers take longer to freeze, also moving water, can you set something up with a recirculation action? I have the water near the heat lamp that is the only heat source. The water may be a sign your run is too drafty overall, so it might mean you need to insulate better somehow. Reach out if I can help, I am in Canada and I appreciate the issues of cold

Last edited:
Bigger water containers take longer to freeze, also moving water, can you set something up with a recirculation action? I have the water near the heat lamp that is the only heat source. The water may be a sign your run is too drafty overall, so it might mean you need to insulate better somehow. Reach out if I can help, I am in Canada and I appreciate the issues of cold
Thanks very much

Hi. Barron county wisconsin here. Cold now! Metal dog bowl on heated base isn't working. Freezing in 2-3 hours. I'm interested in your water solution. I've got 7 hens. Any advice appreciated.

I know some people that use those those heavy duty black rubber feeder pans for water. You tote water out to the chickens however much you need, and then you turn the feeder pan upside down and smack out the block of ice before refilling it. But you have to buy the rubber livestock pans or the frozen water will crack the pan.

If you live somewhere where freezing weather is an occasional thing, then the rubber pan option makes a lot of sense. I have months of freezing weather where I live.

5c0014f2-3d36-49cd-93c4-50784c369698.8eebc4fd6161cdafe17f1e9f57b53bd0.jpeg

:old For many, many reasons, I went the metal water fount and the metal base heater option. That is still my first recommendation if it's in your budget.

I know some people that use those those heavy duty black rubber feeder pans for water. You tote water out to the chickens however much you need, and then you turn the feeder pan upside down and smack out the block of ice before refilling it. But you have to buy the rubber livestock pans or the frozen water will crack the pan.

If you live somewhere where freezing weather is an occasional thing, then the rubber pan option makes a lot of sense. I have months of freezing weather where I live.

5c0014f2-3d36-49cd-93c4-50784c369698.8eebc4fd6161cdafe17f1e9f57b53bd0.jpeg

:old For many, many reasons, I went the metal water fount and the metal base heater option. That is still my first recommendation if it's in your budget.
Thanks. I've got a double wall metal fount on the way
Will use with heater base. I don't mind taking water out, but I'd like to get setup where the birds can be left alone for a couple of days. Love them but can't go out of town until water issue resolved. Appreciate the feedback

I would have been REALLY PISSED! And she is a 4th year vet student??? Oh HELL NO! She must not like chickens to let that happen. Makes me wonder what kind of vet she will make. To let their food and water run so low and to not see and treat their medical issues??? That is NOT a trustworthy person. I feel bad for your girls!!! Are they Ok now?
Yeah, we are in a more rural-ish area so most chickens are not pets.

Touch and go at times, we’ve lost a few. Very high maintenance, lots of worrying and even exhausting at times. This cold has been difficult for some but all are surviving it this far.

Thanks for asking.

Just to be clear, my metal water fount would freeze up in no time if it was not sitting on the metal base heater. It's the combo of both that works for me. If you have the waterer sheltered and roofed, with the heater, it should work pretty well for you. My coop is not heated, but everything is out of direct weather.

Understand many coops are on the small size and adding a waterer and feeder inside the coop is a non starter. That's why I mentioned I built my coop with those things in mind from the get go. My chickens don't go outside in the snowy run all winter. But they are quite comfortable in the coop with about 8 square feet per bird. Winters are long, but I have yet to lose a bird from the cold weather.
Setup water based on your suggestion. Been working great. Wanted to say thanks.

And, I need a bigger coop!

Back
Top Bottom