How I help weak baby chicks to survive. Hope it is helpful.

If you can get some Poultry Nutri-Drench (or sheep or goat ND) or some infant PolyVisol WITHOUT IRON and put some in their water, that will help. You can also pick up some packets of Electrolytes and Pro-biotics at the feed store. You can also look up recipe for making your own electrolytes. She may do better with feed that is mixed with water to an oatmeal consistency. If you put anything in the water, be sure to change the water every day, as the additives will grow bacteria.

Thank you so much for your advice. I did get some polyvisol and am giving a drop to her twice a day. I open her beak and give her a drop and she drinks it. My other chicks are fine and I wasn't sure if it was okay for them to get it so I didn't put it in the water. This way I am sure she is getting it. As of today she looks to be getting better and is standing for longer periods of time without plopping down on her butt. I was worried about her because she took 2 steps and would plop down. And when she was standing she was wobbly. And I weigh her everyday on a kitchen food scale and she is gaining weight so I hope we are moving in the right direction.

Walgreens, drug store sells probotics too. I am not sure if you are are city or rural.
I also had a vet tell me once to feed baby food for the vitamins.

I have a weak chick and it will not but it will drink how can I help it?
see post number 31. It is just excellent counsel. That Nutri-Drench ( Check Tractor Supply and your local feed store) http://www.nutridrench.com has everything your chick needs for energy to live and it doesn't need to be digested. it mainlines directly into the bloodstream, measureable in 30 minutes with 99% utilization. All natural. Give 1 drop only by mouth and repeat as needed every 8 to 10 hours. Put 2ml per gallon in the chick's water ( should look like very weak tea) and do that for the next 2 weeks to get the chick off to a strong start.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
absolutley love the chick in a bandana trick i am trying this now i havea chick that is about 11 days old and she is the runt of the bunch we named her Little Bity in honor of my dad who just passed away with lung cancer March 23rd i always called him my little bitty :) went out to check on my babies this morning and she not doing good her eyes were shut she is weak and cant hardly stand she just looks like she dont feel good at all she is singind the cutest little song in the bandana though :), she was fine last night i just hope shes gonna be ok shes not eating but i am giving her Electylite and sugar water ill keep yall updated but any help or advice owuld be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

I loved your story I have "Terry" in my bra sock right now! I split a sock down the middle, he's in the toe section and then the two pieces of tubing act as a strap that I looped under my bra... he just started drinking so that's a good sign... he/she is also singing...I hope he makes it! He/she is a guniea.

Five days ago, I had to help a Showgirl chick hatch. It was pipping at the wrong end and then stopped. When it finally came out a day later, the umbilical cord was attached and there was a lot of blood. I was shocked that it survived the night. I fed it water with electrolytes, sugar, and probiotics every hour. On day 3, I started blending up the chick starter food with the electrolyte water and feeding to it. It is still a little wobbily on its feet, but does not fall over anymore. It does walk around the brooder peeping which is an improvement. However, here we are on day 5, and I still have to hand feed and put its beak in the water dish. It will drink when I make it take water or food, but still seems like it would rather stand and look around than eat or drink. It has pooped once. I am not sure what else to do.

Five days ago, I had to help a Showgirl chick hatch. It was pipping at the wrong end and then stopped. When it finally came out a day later, the umbilical cord was attached and there was a lot of blood. I was shocked that it survived the night. I fed it water with electrolytes, sugar, and probiotics every hour. On day 3, I started blending up the chick starter food with the electrolyte water and feeding to it. It is still a little wobbily on its feet, but does not fall over anymore. It does walk around the brooder peeping which is an improvement. However, here we are on day 5, and I still have to hand feed and put its beak in the water dish. It will drink when I make it take water or food, but still seems like it would rather stand and look around than eat or drink. It has pooped once. I am not sure what else to do.

So far it sounds like you are doing everything correctly just keep up the good work and keep us updated on your progress
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom