How I make $130 Per Month On Chicks

Shadow Source

Songster
May 25, 2018
Central Oregon
Hello All!

I am now getting in to breeding Silkie Chickens. I just sold 13 day old Silkie Chicks, for $10.00 a piece!!! You see, people LOVE Silkies; I sold all the chicks within 1 day after posting them on Craigslist. Incubating chicken eggs does not really cost anything, if you sell them before they are 3 days old you make all the money that you asked for them. You are able to hatch all year round. Right now I only have two Silkie Hens, so I can only Hatch 13 at a time.

I am going to attempt to breed bigger Silkies with Light Brahmas. I could then sell those chicks for $15 each. When I get more Hens, I will be able to Hatch 20 or even 30 at a time. So I could make up to $300 a month!! I will keep this thread up to date.

Remember anyone can do this. Make a free Craigslist account and post anything you want. Depending on the market is where you live, you could make even more money.

Don't want to be the Cassandra here, but i seriously doubt that you can keep up those numbers if you don't start shipping the chicks via mail. And then you're in competition with large(r) hatcheries - a pond full of sharks.
But i am watching this thread and would appreciate if you could update us in the future. I don't want to make a living from my ducks, but if i could sell ducklings or (fertile) eggs to pay their food, i'd be the happiest guy on my hill.

Nice! If you can find buyers then you've got a good thing going.
One bit of advice, don't mix your silkies, if you're trying to expand size and selection then just breed bigger silkies together there isn't a huge market for mutts.
I won't get into all the weaknesses and genetic abnormalities that pop up when silkie is introduced into mutt mixes.
Anyhoo, good luck and fortunate hatching.:)

Hello All!

I am now getting in to breeding Silkie Chickens. I just sold 13 day old Silkie Chicks, for $10.00 a piece!!! You see, people LOVE Silkies; I sold all the chicks within 1 day after posting them on Craigslist. Incubating chicken eggs does not really cost anything, if you sell them before they are 3 days old you make all the money that you asked for them. You are able to hatch all year round. Right now I only have two Silkie Hens, so I can only Hatch 13 at a time.

I am going to attempt to breed bigger Silkies with Light Brahmas. I could then sell those chicks for $15 each. When I get more Hens, I will be able to Hatch 20 or even 30 at a time. So I could make up to $300 a month!! I will keep this thread up to date.

Remember anyone can do this. Make a free Craigslist account and post anything you want. Depending on the market is where you live, you could make even more money.
i am looking to get 3 silkies, i live in florida central east coast...can anyone help me

You can purchase from a hatchery or a middleman like Mypetchicken.com i'd reccomend them since their sexing is pretty spot on and you can get the merek's vaccine "you NEED it with silkies" can't stress that enough.
You could also try the buy/sale/trade section here if you're feeling adventureous.:)
i am looking to get 3 silkies, i live in florida central east coast...can anyone help me

:)I would be careful and make sure your local and state regulation supports you to sell hatched chicks from your home. Not all individuals can do this. My area prohibits any commercial market from chickens from my property so check local and state regulation first. Also depending on where you sell it to, the regulation may change such as in state versus out of state. NPIP certification may be recommended for commercial endeavors regarding poultry. This may include testing flock to verify a clean flock and involve paperwork or permits to ship to another state. Just FYI! That said Good Luck! Also it is recommended to purchase poultry only from NPIP certified breeders and Hatcheries to reduce the incidence of poultry diseases. :) I like Meyers Hatchery myself and I did vaccinate for Mareks. If commercial flock then recommended for a whole vaccination schedule that can be obtained from Meyers to prevent spread of poultry diseases such as one we are facing now in California Newcastle Disease and many others. :)

Back
Top Bottom