How I'm Treating Bumblefoot without cutting/surgery

Could you please describe in more detail how you did the syringe?

Doing it right seemed absolutely impossible, but was easy after I finally got it right. It was hard for me to watch too and I can't describe it in a way that seems helpful. Watching and doing are very different things for me and I need a diagram for anything and everything.

Here is my incredibly poor description which I hope will somehow help someone as desperate as I was:
Hand over chicken's head from the back, thumb & index finger very gently touching the corners where the beak connects to the head. That combination opens the beak and prevents the head from going back. Administer with thin syringe held in other hand. You're right; it has to be deep enough and at the correct angle.

I'm not sure what else I can add. My syringe was large--not the thin ones. I was giving 5cc once a day. I wrapped the bird in a towel, opened the beak by pulling the tip back (your way sounds better). The thing was to gently push the syringe to the side at the back of the throat and insert about 2 inches deep. Sounds like a lot and it was, but once in I pushed the plunger none of the meds escaped (not much that is) Some tries were better than others. It had to be done that was all there was to it.
I have since unwrapped the foot and it looked a lot better but there is still swelling there. I rewrapped the foot as I was told to do by the vet. I am waiting until Friday and will then begin working on it if it looks like it needs it. The poor bird really needs a break from me and me from her.

UDATE:
Yes I did fail to the extent that the foot was so bad the vet cut and drained it. It's been a couple of weeks now and tonight I squeezed/dug out a good size bumble. It now looks like the other foot before it completely healed so I feel hopeful.
However, the hen still feels skinny although I see her eating well. She may still not survive but at least she is not fighting the infection.
I put Neosporin on the wound which was a hole, added a dressing and wrapped the foot.
I provide this update because so often we don't know the outcome. I will update only if the bird dies--otherwise hopefully she will recover.

That seems like progress! Hang in there. Bumblefoot can take months to heal. Our worst case is now almost healed at 5 months and two rounds of antibiotics 3 months apart.

Taking care of the possible cause of getting bumblefoot in her environment is also essential to healing.

I think I we are almost there. I am thinking that my gravel driveway may be to blame. They spend a lot of time on it because they come to the door seeking food--and of course they get it. I need to change things around so they spend more time in the wooded area. No grass here at all.

One tip.....if you simply wrap the foot with vet wrap for an extended period..2 weeks if not too severe...the bumble and skin will soften to the point you can peel back the skin and pop out the kernal and white stuff. Epsom baths work okay but are a bit stressful on the bird and you need at least 20 min of soaking every night for it to work. Just wrap it for 1 to 2 weeks, unwrap, pop it out and disinfect and pack with poly and gauze, changing every 3 to 4 days and you are good to go. I make it a habit to scan my flocks feet 2 a week to check for swelling between the toes.

Interesting. I saw a youtube video on how to cure bumblefoot without surgery, it was made by a man in a foreign country (Philipines maybe? He was treating a rooster and they are big into cock fighting over there).

Anyway, he slathered spoonfull of some white stuff that looked like grease on the foot and bandaged it up. The video didn't say what he put on the foot (or if it did it was in a foreign language) but I bet it was some sort of emolient/grease to soften the skin and pop the bumble the way you are describing.

Last edited:
That is basically what I have been doing for 2 months. Keeping it wrapped clean. It comes "to a head" in stages. I think/hope I got the last of it this time. I put Neosporin on it-a grease base.
Now I'm thinking the Sultan rooster may have leg mites so he will now be going to the torture chamber in the bathroom at night. I feel so bad for them. They shiver in fear as I carry them to take care of whatever it is.
It's been a long process--2 months--but the alternative as I understand it is death--especially as bad as this hen had it and in both feet.

I'm not sure what else I can add. My syringe was large--not the thin ones. I was giving 5cc once a day. I wrapped the bird in a towel, opened the beak by pulling the tip back (your way sounds better). The thing was to gently push the syringe to the side at the back of the throat and insert about 2 inches deep. Sounds like a lot and it was, but once in I pushed the plunger none of the meds escaped (not much that is) Some tries were better than others. It had to be done that was all there was to it.
I have since unwrapped the foot and it looked a lot better but there is still swelling there. I rewrapped the foot as I was told to do by the vet. I am waiting until Friday and will then begin working on it if it looks like it needs it. The poor bird really needs a break from me and me from her.

I found this link on BYC when searching for something else and hopefully this also helps others trying to figure out how to give medicine orally:
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

Thank you for the updates!

One tip.....if you simply wrap the foot with vet wrap for an extended period..2 weeks if not too severe...the bumble and skin will soften to the point you can peel back the skin and pop out the kernal and white stuff. Epsom baths work okay but are a bit stressful on the bird and you need at least 20 min of soaking every night for it to work. Just wrap it for 1 to 2 weeks, unwrap, pop it out and disinfect and pack with poly and gauze, changing every 3 to 4 days and you are good to go. I make it a habit to scan my flocks feet 2 a week to check for swelling between the toes.

Update: I pronounce the foot healed and recovered. However, I've found another hen with bumble foot which looks a lot less severe than the one I've been dealing with. So, I will follow the course set out by Woobsie for this one. This hen was very stressed by me handling her and her feet aren't bad. So hopefully this method will cure her also.

Have come to the conclusion that it is my gravel drive way that is to blame. Will make efforts to keep them off of it starting in a few weeks.

I found this link on BYC when searching for something else and hopefully this also helps others trying to figure out how to give medicine orally:
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

Thank you for the updates!

Thank you lovemy6hens. That link was excellent. I wish I had a helper believe me but I did manage on my own so it can be done. I imagine peafowl are not as easy to handle as chickens.

You know that is so interesting you say that. At my old house I had lot of bumblefoot occurances and I had a huge gravel driveway. Now at my new place this year I only had 1 case and they don't have access to a gravel driveway and I have 2x the birds and I had wondered if that was why.

Back
Top Bottom