How is hatching stored and unrotated eggs possible ?

CuriousAmateur

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Hello all, I am honestly a bit stumped.

I am wondering why the eggs in my incubator are developing when they have been stored incorrectly ?

They have been stored pointy side up in an egg carton for who knows how many days long and not rotated at all !

I have seen a handful of videos and articles saying that they need to be rotated 45 degrees at LEAST once a day up to 7 days to prevent the embryo from sticking.

Out of the 5 eggs I put in 3 or 4 days ago, 4 are developing and there was a clear blood ring in 1 which was tossed.

Can someone tell me how this works ? Does rotating lower the risk of the embryo sticking or something ?

Thanks in advance !!

I am wondering why the eggs in my incubator are developing when they have been stored incorrectly ?
How the eggs are stored prior to the start of incubation doesn't seem to matter.

Can someone tell me how this works ? Does rotating lower the risk of the embryo sticking or something ?
That's the idea, particularly during the first three days of incubation.

This article will tell you what you want to know and more.

https://www.scielo.br/j/rbca/a/ZFYLhJkZ8VSVpXZSJmCcKvr/?lang=en

Often one doesn't know the consequeces of poor incubation conditions until the chicks start to hatch and sometimes not until the chicks turn into pullets and cockerels.

thats more of ideal rules than the law .. its more for you i think than the eggs .. in other words if i make a small 'nest' from a box and some straw and put it in the fridge and gently place eggs in it as im collecting, and turn them twice a day, im getting my system down, how im handling them, observing minor details and getting to know the eggs etc .. it will lead to more success generally the more attention to detail you give it .. but strictly speaking, a fertile egg will develop within its limits unless its been damaged ..

I don’t store my eggs in a carton
I leave them in a bowl laying as they would in a nest
I don’t turn them before incubating
I have even tossed in eggs 21 days after she laid them and still got 100 %hatch rates
To me it’s extra work that I don’t need to worry about
My hatch rates are 90-100 % including the schools I let use my set up and eggs 100%
Buyers who have never incubated before still got 100%

How the eggs are stored prior to the start of incubation doesn't seem to matter.

That's the idea, particularly during the first three days of incubation.

This article will tell you what you want to know and more.

https://www.scielo.br/j/rbca/a/ZFYLhJkZ8VSVpXZSJmCcKvr/?lang=en

Often one doesn't know the consequeces of poor incubation conditions until the chicks start to hatch and sometimes not until the chicks turn into pullets and cockerels.
Oh okay ! Thanks ! I was a bit lost as to how much storage conditions really mattered because I heard you had to tilt them every now and then while in storage.

Thanks again ! The article was quite helpful.

thats more of ideal rules than the law .. its more for you i think than the eggs .. in other words if i make a small 'nest' from a box and some straw and put it in the fridge and gently place eggs in it as im collecting, and turn them twice a day, im getting my system down, how im handling them, observing minor details and getting to know the eggs etc .. it will lead to more success generally the more attention to detail you give it .. but strictly speaking, a fertile egg will develop within its limits unless its been damaged ..
This makes sense ! I didn't know you could store eggs in the fridge and still have them hatch ! This was very helpful.

I don’t store my eggs in a carton
I leave them in a bowl laying as they would in a nest
I don’t turn them before incubating
I have even tossed in eggs 21 days after she laid them and still got 100 %hatch rates
To me it’s extra work that I don’t need to worry about
My hatch rates are 90-100 % including the schools I let use my set up and eggs 100%
Buyers who have never incubated before still got 100%
Good to know ! Seems like I stressed for no reason regarding the turning of my eggs while they were in storage 😅.

I was doing an experiment with the local egg lady's eggs since I realized one of her eggs I cracked were fertile. Was a bit worried that it wouldn't work since they were in a carton instead of on their sides.

Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom