How is your flock today?

Pics
Sounds like you have a nice mixture of poultry, are Quail hard to raise?
No, you need a small space, maybe about half a sheet of paper per bird (based on button quail) you don't need an egg-box or any perches for them to sleep on. For feed, we use turkey chick crumble. Just so you know they aren't that tame. To get them I would advise hatching eggs (be careful the eggs are smaller than a penny).

Sometimes mistakes can be a good thing, so stick around and chat with us. Welcome!

The egg's will gradually get bigger. Those fist egg's are exciting though, as you have to wait so long to get them.
I agree, some of our first eggs were very exciting with double yolks and interesting in funny shape and size. This is also normal for new layers from what I have been reading.

We have had a few bigger then normal sized eggs. The regular chicken eggs have been measuring 2"-1/4 in length and 1"-3/4 in diameter. The biggest egg measured 2"-7/8 in length and 2"-3/16 in diameter. I am still not sure how she pushed that one out without any trouble, but she did! LOL

Attachments

• Egg 01.jpg
    Egg 01.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Egg 02.jpg
    Egg 02.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No, you need a small space, maybe about half a sheet of paper per bird (based on button quail) you don't need an egg-box or any perches for them to sleep on. For feed, we use turkey chick crumble. Just so you know they aren't that tame. To get them I would advise hatching eggs (be careful the eggs are smaller than a penny).
O wow, That's interesting, Thanks for sharing. :)

I got my first egg yesterday! It's a smaller, beautiful brown egg from one of my ISA Browns, ironically the youngest one (she's a week younger than the rest of my flock). Can't wait until we're inundated with eggs.
That is awesome, Congrats! :) How many Isa Brown hens do you have? We have just the four and they keep the two of us in plenty of eggs and that's not to mention our eight duck hens who are great layers also. Fresh eggs are Awesome! :celebrate

That is awesome, Congrats! :) How many Isa Brown hens do you have? We have just the four and they keep the two of us in plenty of eggs and that's not to mention our eight duck hens who are great layers also. Fresh eggs are Awesome! :celebrate
Thanks! I've also got 4 ISA Browns (named Lamppost, Phosphophyllite, Peep, and Vanilla Bean - Vanilla Bean was the one that laid the egg). There's also 3 Dominiques and 1 Ameraucana.

Ducks are so cute! Are they harder to take care of than chickens (especially with their water requirements)? Yeah, fresh eggs are the best.

I agree, some of our first eggs were very exciting with double yokes and interesting in funny shape and size. This is also normal for new layers from what I have been reading.

We have had a few bigger then normal sized eggs. The regular chicken eggs have been measuring 2"-1/4 in length and 1"-3/4 in diameter. The biggest egg measured 2"-7/8 in length and 2"-3/16 in diameter. I am still not sure how she pushed that one out without any trouble, but she did! LOL

I got one yesterday from one of my Naked Neck hen's that is 3" long. I call that girl the squealer, because that's what she does if any of the other's come into the coop while she's trying to lay her egg. My DH said that I'd squeal too, if I had to push out a watermelon like she does. :gig

Thanks! I've also got 4 ISA Browns (named Lamppost, Phosphophyllite, Peep, and Vanilla Bean - Vanilla Bean was the one that laid the egg). There's also 3 Dominiques and 1 Ameraucana.

Ducks are so cute! Are they harder to take care of than chickens (especially with their water requirements)? Yeah, fresh eggs are the best.
Yes Ducks are so cute and also so very messy. LOL They can be a handful if a person is new to ducks and are not educated to their needs to help keep them healthy. I personally don't discourage anyone from getting ducks, I try to help people understand that they can be a handful and don't make a very easy to care for pet for some people, like a cat or dog. :)

I have a question for you about quail. They say that the females start laying egg's at about 6 week's of age. Since they mature so fast, how long of an average lifespan do they have?

Back
Top Bottom