How late in the year do peafowl lay eggs

Most of mine are done by Aug. Had a few lay in Oct, only thing if the male have drop their train, eggs will not be fertile.

thanks, i have my first dozen in the incubator and wondered how late there would still be eggs available if i were to try a second batch, and thanks for telling about the low fertility rates late - i didn't know

Quote:
I beg to differ on this...I got a peacock & 3 peahens last summer, about July or so, he lost his train before I even got him home (I guess from all the excitement of moving). The hens started laying in August & the eggs were fertile!

Quote:
I beg to differ on this...I got a peacock & 3 peahens last summer, about July or so, he lost his train before I even got him home (I guess from all the excitement of moving). The hens started laying in August & the eggs were fertile!

A hen can still lay fertile eggs even after the male has been remove, up to 3 weeks, maybe longer. Male are not fertile after losing the train.

Thats ones that lose them from the hormone change, not from being moved.

Yes , depend on where you are as to when, most of mine start late Aug. southern state sooner, also not all lose them at the same time. They start growing new trains late fall and thru the winter.

Quote:

A hen can still lay fertile eggs even after the male has been remove, up to 3 weeks, maybe longer. Male are not fertile after losing the train.

Thats ones that lose them from the hormone change, not from being moved.

Also if the train was lost by moving the bird, that's not the same as him doing a natural molt, and yes, they and most any poultry go sterile after their molt, rule of nature, all that stuff is just there as a way to attract a mate, after that, there's no need for breeding as they are done for their season

Back
Top Bottom