How long can I leave vet wrap on a foot?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I have two hens recovering from bumblefoot. Both went through the standard daily treatments of soaking, cleaning, ointment, and bandage; their kernels came out (without surgery), and they are healing well. Ideally, I'd keep them bandaged up longer, until they heal completely, but I need to travel next week and will be gone for a month. My husband will be taking care of the chickens, but he doesn't feel up to the task of changing chicken socks. The bandages are supposed to be quick dry and breathable, so if I wrap the feet well, and tape the top of the bandage to the leg with medical tape to stop it from unraveling, will their feet be okay staying wrapped like that for a month? I just want the physical barrier/protection of the bandage, so their feet don't get re-damaged before they have fully healed...

1690164852845.png
1690164877218.png

I usually removed mine when they were about a week out from surgery.
I removed it on one of the hens a week or two after the kernel came out, and after a while I noticed a new dark spot developing so I bandaged it up again (it had been clear before that). And the other hen, the vet said that she’ll need socks permanently because her feet tend to swell and she’s prone to bumble foot…

I used pet wrap to make a cast for a chicken with a leg fracture. She wore it for 6 weeks without issue. However, she wasn't outside much. And never on wet ground.
Good to know, thanks. Though mine will be outside… No puddles or mud, as their run is mostly covered and has good bedding that drains well, but they will be walking on moist bedding after a rain and scratching through stuff…

Back
Top Bottom