how long can you leave eggs out unrefrigerated?

Quote:
No, the refrigerator doesn't change the taste it's the texture. An egg that comes out of the frig doesn't blend into foods as well as a room temperature egg does. A cold egg clumps together and it takes a lot of beating to get it smooth and it never really gets as smooth as a room temperature egg does. Also when you make scrambled eggs, the eggs that have never been in the frig whip up lighter and fluffier than the ones out of the frig. When you make boiled eggs the eggs that have never been in the frig have a much creamier texture...the ones that have been in the frig get a little rubbery. The only time I reach into the frig first to get an egg is if I'm making fried eggs. The yolk of a cold egg clumps together and is harder to break on accident when you want a sunny side up fried egg.

I put eggs in the frig for long term storage and in the winter time when the hens are not laying I'm happy to have them...even cold they are better than store eggs. But if I have a choice I will use up my fresh eggs first before I go into the frig for an egg.

By the way...fresh boiled eggs are VERY hard to peel...really almost impossible....unless you know the secret of how to cook them. A very kind and generous member of this forum posted the secret a few years ago and it works so well it's almost magic.... This even works on eggs right out of the nest!!!!

Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Gently lower room temperature eggs in with a ladle. 17 minutes later drain and put in ice water…allow them to sit in the ice water for another 17 minutes. Peel.

The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy.

Thankyou BettyR that was very informative! So when I make merangue next time the whites will whip up to fantastic heights!
woot.gif
and I am just soooo tired of the crappy scrambled eggs I am making at present so look forward to our fresh eggs even more than before! *shouts out the back door*
Hurry up and Lay you chickens!

What about outside on a hot day? Our coop stays fairy cool even on a hot summer day but the hens like to sometimes lay in the tortoise house which is not so cool. I usually check it everyday but what if an egg stays in there for two days and it gets really hot?

Quote:
No, the refrigerator doesn't change the taste it's the texture. An egg that comes out of the frig doesn't blend into foods as well as a room temperature egg does. A cold egg clumps together and it takes a lot of beating to get it smooth and it never really gets as smooth as a room temperature egg does. Also when you make scrambled eggs, the eggs that have never been in the frig whip up lighter and fluffier than the ones out of the frig. When you make boiled eggs the eggs that have never been in the frig have a much creamier texture...the ones that have been in the frig get a little rubbery. The only time I reach into the frig first to get an egg is if I'm making fried eggs. The yolk of a cold egg clumps together and is harder to break on accident when you want a sunny side up fried egg.

I put eggs in the frig for long term storage and in the winter time when the hens are not laying I'm happy to have them...even cold they are better than store eggs. But if I have a choice I will use up my fresh eggs first before I go into the frig for an egg.

By the way...fresh boiled eggs are VERY hard to peel...really almost impossible....unless you know the secret of how to cook them. A very kind and generous member of this forum posted the secret a few years ago and it works so well it's almost magic.... This even works on eggs right out of the nest!!!!

Get the water boiling first - rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Gently lower room temperature eggs in with a ladle. 17 minutes later drain and put in ice water…allow them to sit in the ice water for another 17 minutes. Peel.

The eggs practically roll out of the shell. I have almost intact shells. Sooo easy.

Thankyou BettyR that was very informative! So when I make merangue next time the whites will whip up to fantastic heights!
woot.gif
and I am just soooo tired of the crappy scrambled eggs I am making at present so look forward to our fresh eggs even more than before! *shouts out the back door*
Hurry up and Lay you chickens!

You are welcome....glad I could help.

Quote:
It don't know where you are but summers here on the Gulf Coast stay in the upper 90's to low 100's from about the end of Jun until things start to cool off into the 80's towards the end of September. We usually get our first cold weather in December...but cold for us are temps in the 40's.

Last edited:
Crzy - our summers are in the upper 90's and 100's and there have been many times when I have left eggs out for two or three days and we still eat them - never had any problems.

Betty - Refrigeration sure does change the texture, but I swear even our fresh eggs taste different after they have been in the fridge. It could be that the change in texture makes my brain think that they taste different? You're probably right, but my mouth says that the eggs lose their full-bodied flavor if they've been chilled.
idunno.gif

Quote:
My son has a more sensitive pallet than I do and he says the same thing. Honestly I can't tell any difference in taste but the difference in texture is enough that I prefer to keep my eggs on the counter as long a possible.

Quote:

So do you boil the eggs for 17 minutes after lowering them in? I wasn't clear on this part. But thanks for the secret! rachaelc - mother of all

Back
Top Bottom