How long do eggs keep????

Quote:
this article, the one from which Oblio13 quoted, seems to disagree with those times slightly, but particularly regarding waterglassing.

i feel like a one hit wonder, trotting out this article every few days... make sure you're doing a search before starting a new thread, OP. you miss out on so much good information by starting a new discussion rather than adding to an older, more fleshed-out one.

Last edited:
I ran out of patience reading that tome!

Yeah, there is variance, absolutes dont exist. I got the 9 months water glass times from Milo Hastings, I believe. They werent accustomed to refrigeration back then. Again, Ive never tried it.
I feel like we're engaging in pedantic hair splitting here, though. I mean, 9 months, 12 months; lets face it ... thats a dang long time for any egg!

A month old un-refrigerated egg isn't high on my yum-yum list. Seems TMEN didnt think so highly of them either!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
it is a bit lengthy, yes.
wink.png
just think if it had been continued, as promised on the last page (btw, they promised to continue the experiment on the last page, in case you didn't get that far!)

i agree with you completely. 9 months is prodigious for an egg. i just don't want someone to end up with a bunch of stanky waterglassed bombs.
smile.png

In "The Encyclopedia for country living" book she says you can test your eggs by placing them in a bowl of water. If the egg lays flat on its side, it's good. If the end starts popping up, it's getting old, and if it stands on end, its rotten! The sulpher gas builds up the longer the egg sits around, and causes it to float. I've tried it when I find clutches of eggs around the farm. It seem s to work!

feel like a one hit wonder, trotting out this article every few days... make sure you're doing a search before starting a new thread, OP. you miss out on so much good information by starting a new discussion rather than adding to an older, more fleshed-out one.

um ok thanks. I did look it up, and didn't find anything. Maybe I wasn't putting in the right search words.

Thank you again to everyone who answered. I have a general idea to go by and I will do what I am comfortable with, coupled with common sense. The eggs in question have been in the fridge for a month past the "expiration date", so they should be okay. These are store bought eggs. I will check them first before eating them of course. Thank you again.
smile.png

ETA quote​

Last edited:
Eggs are good when:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
Place eggs in bowl.
If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thoroughly cooked.
If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start pivoting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
When completely upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thoroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, etc.)
Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidize; This might explain the whole floating egg method.

Maybe you've seen this before?.....

Can you eat that egg?

If not sure you ought-ter
then place it in water.
If it lies on its side,
then it's fresh, eat with pride.

After three or four days
at an angle it lays
But, it still is a treat
so go on and eat.

Ten days, stands on end
in your baking 'twill blend
'Cause it's definitely edible
in your baking, incredible.

But, if it floats on the surface
that egg serves no purpose
'Cause a floater's a stinker !
Out the back door best fling 'er.

Well here is an update from the USDA dated 2007/2008:

According to the USDA: "The test of freshness that involves seeing if an egg floats in a glass of (salt)-water is not a reliable test. In fact, this test has no relationship to the freshness of shell eggs. While eggs do take in air as they age, the size of the air cell varies from egg to egg when they are laid. Therefore, a freshly laid egg and an older egg might react very similarly,

I've eaten refrigerated, store-bought eggs as late as 6 months after the date on the carton. I always do a sniff test when they are that old, but wouldn't hesitate or even bother to sniff after 2-3 months.

My fresh eggs are never washed and sit on the counter in a basket. I've never had a bad one but I know I've eaten them after 3 weeks. Always check before you add them to other ingredients just in case. If it's bad, you'll know it!

I tell how fresh they are by floating. Put an egg in a bowl of water. If it stays on the bottem, it is fresh. If it slightly floats on one end, that air cell has gotten bigger and it is a little older. If it floats on one end, it is good for hard boiling, as it will peel easier. I generally don't keep them if they float completely all the way off the bottem. I did hard boil one like that recently, and it was find for deviled eggs.

The bigger the air cell, the older the egg.

Back
Top Bottom