how long do eggs last in the fridge?

Mine last at least a month on the counter, I would imagine a fridge would be much longer...

*hint* Someone should test it, put a dozen in the back of the fridge and start testing them after a month or so............ *hint*

Eggs will easily last a month on the counter, and several months in the fridge. For eating.

For hatching, it's best to get them started incubating within a week, but if they've been refrigerated, you might have up to two weeks before the viability drops waaaay off. At least that's what I've read....

I boiled some for deviled eggs the other day that were eight weeks old. Out of two dozen there were four or five floaters. When I peeled the floaters the air cell was more than a third of the egg. They tasted fine.

Quote:
It's been done. If you go to Mother Earth News and do a search you'll find a, I think, year-long experiment that included several ways of storing eggs -- in the fridge, counter, in sand, etc.

This is good to know. I always wondered too how long they last. I will pass this on to my chicken friends.
I love this site!
ya.gif

Quote:
Is your counter a consistent 99-100 degrees Fahrenheit?
wink.png
If not, chicks won't develop no matter how fertilized those eggs are.
smile.png

Think about it, if we could develop chicks in fertilized eggs just sitting on the counter at room temp why in the world would anyone buy an incubator?

Last edited:
Wow! This is awesome news! My hens have not started laying...any day now I think
fl.gif

But I was already thinking what the heck I was going to do with the "extra" eggs cause I thought they would go bad in a week or two! Now I am super happy to know that I can keep them in the fridge for at least a month with no worries!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks BYC!!!

Back
Top Bottom