How long do fresh eggs stay fresh?

21 days on counter--six months in a basement or cooler place is what I think-- You can always do the egg test in water to see if its GOOD or not

Not at all an expert here, but friends told me that in Europe eggs are stored and sold unrefrigerated, that as long as they aren't washed first they'll keep well at room temp. Apparently, washing removes a protective coating.
I have read the same. I understand they don't refrigerate the eggs at all.

Is taking a damp paper towel and wiping any dirt off considered washing? should the eggs I done that to be refrigerated or just moved to the front of the line?
Thanks for any help.

Not at all an expert here, but friends told me that in Europe eggs are stored and sold unrefrigerated, that as long as they aren't washed first they'll keep well at room temp. Apparently, washing removes a protective coating.
p it's right! In Italy eggs are sold on selves in the store

Wow! So informative! Thank you!
We just got our first eggs and I was unsure, so I washed them in warm water and refrigerated. Now that I know better I will certainly keep them unwashed at room temperature. We have 6 kids and go through eggs insanely fast, so I have no doubt they won't stay long enough to go bad. Now to find a cute ceramic egg holder!

Quote:
I've got a lot of eggs "banked up" and lost control of which were older. I've done the "water test" on some to be given away and found a "floater". Can floaters still be used at all, for anything, eg fed to the chickens, or should they be thrown out?

You can also brush with mineral oil and unwashed-fresh eggs can be stored in the cooler temps of the cellar/ basement up to 6months!!
(preparedness.com)
Don't forget to put the pointy side down in the carton to keep fresher.

Does this mean we can store unwashed eggs in carton on the counter before selling them or giving away?

Back
Top Bottom