How Long Do I Keep My Baby Chicks on Chick Starter?

Answer actually depends on where they're located. If they're already outside and have been for a week or two, then you can probably switch off whenever. If they have not been outside at all, then it'd be safest to keep them on medicated feed for a couple of weeks after they move out, as they have not been exposed to any coccidiosis in your environment and it seems like the transition period is when they're most likely to have problems.

(Note that I do not use medicated feed, I have Corid if needed but because I brood outdoors my hope is that they build up resistance to coccidiosis naturally via early exposure.)
They are still inside. I’ve been giving them big post hole scoops of dirt grass sand every couple days.

So after the couple weeks has passed of being outside then switch to non medicated starter feed? Up until 16-18 weeks correct?

So after the couple weeks has passed of being outside then switch to non medicated starter feed? Up until 16-18 weeks correct?
Yes. Although you can keep them on the non medicated feed for life if you'd like, or switch to all flock for life. Or if you want to use layer, I'd play it by ear - I personally only start up layer once some of the young birds start laying, but you can start them slightly in advance if you'd prefer, once they start looking close to lay.

strictly speaking, feed it to them until theyre big enough to fit in is the rule .. chick starter grows them faster .. then they can eat anything after that but dont go straight to pellets, they can choke and spontaneously die .. if pellets are the end goal to reduce waste, introduce them slowly mixed in with crumbles scratch etc ..

Agreed with @nuthatched and @rosemarythyme above. I'll just add my 2-cents, since I started this reply before they posted. (They're just much faster and less wordy than I am!) :plbb

The babies should be fed starter feed until about 18-20 weeks of age, and then transition to layer feed. Layer feed has about 3-times the calcium, which they need for strong eggshells. However, feeding layer feed when they are not yet ready to lay, or to roosters, isn't good for them. Excess calcium in chicks or roosters can lead to organ damage.

So, if you have a mixed-age flock and/or a rooster, you can use an all-flock type feed that's designed for all ages, or you can just continue to feed them starter feed forever - BUT with either one, you'll need to supplement with oyster shells on the side (free-choice) or another source of calcium once the pullets are ready to lay (20-26 weeks usually). Hens will eat the oyster shells as they need it, but the roosters and chicks generally leave it alone.
So, what about treating 9 week old chicks with soldier fly grubs since it says they are high in calcium? Should I hold off?

So, what about treating 9 week old chicks with soldier fly grubs since it says they are high in calcium? Should I hold off?
I'd hold off, or offer the grubs only sparingly as a treat. They should still get 90% of their nutrition from a whole feed. If you give them anything to eat besides chick starter, be sure to offer chick grit in a shallow dish as well.

Is grit dirt/sand????
Grit is actually tiny pebbles, like sand, yes - but bigger particles. It's usually made up of quartz, granite, flint, or other hard, 'insoluble' rocks. You can buy poultry grit or chick grit from any farm supplier.

Or resource your own. But be aware that "sand" as most people buy it, like in play sand or for gardening, is generally too fine. If you find some that has various sizes of tiny stones in it, that's good. I get mine from the sandpile that hubby dumped in the garden last fall, acquired from the local rock quarry down the road. I have various sifters I use to get fine grit for chicks or larger grit for mature chickens. A word of advice: If you choose to find your own, don't get it from the roadside - there will be bits of asphalt, rubber, oil, salts and other chemicals you do not want to feed to your chickens!

Chickens need grit to break down hard-to-digest things they eat, like seeds, bugs and whatnot. They eat the grit, which collects in their gizzard to grind these food items into mush. Chickens who are allowed to free-range generally find all the grit they need outdoors, but those kept in a pen need to have supplemental grit. If chicks are exposed to wood chips or other bedding materials, they need grit - because ingesting their bedding can cause digestive issues and pasty-butt.

Just put some in a shallow dish, and watch the chicks go nuts for it. It's a hoot to watch :gig

Is grit dirt/sand????
Hard rock like granite used to grind down food for digestion. Suggested sizes:
grit2.png

Back
Top Bottom