How long do you let a hen sit?

So I get home tonight and he is STILL on the nest!

Good news though! I called my friend that has chickens and a rooster. She said she is getting fertilized eggs. She has four different breeds she wants more chickens. So Sunday she is giving me her daily egg ration, which is a total of 6 eggs for hatching.
How do i transport them to my house? Do they need a warm box to carry them in?
I figure it doesn't hurt to try this out and if it fails it's ok. I'll make the back up incubator by Sunday thank you again for that site! Very helpful

Just pop them into an empty egg carton. They don't need to be kept warm, but you should avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures. They need to be kept fat-end up, otherwise the air cell can get damaged.

h
Just pop them into an empty egg carton. They don't need to be kept warm, but you should avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures. They need to be kept fat-end up, otherwise the air cell can get damaged.

how can you tell if the egg is fat-end up?

she has not gotten off the nest at all since one pm yesterday so I took her off this morning and gave her plain yogurt and showed her the food and water and now she is eating and drinking. I shall see if she returns to the nest soon. She did not poop at all last night but when out of the nest for a moment, she had the biggest chicken poop ever! lol

Most eggs are oblong shaped, with one end being more rounded, and one end being more tapered. Eggs for hatching need to be kept rounded/wide end up. Eggs from the grocery store are pointed/tapered end up.

Back
Top Bottom