How long does it take YOU to clean your coop?

My "coop" moves every day but I clean the litter out of the tractor every 2 weeks. It takes about 20 minutes to do this. I'm new to all this so I'm still learning what all is involved.

Once I have a fence around my 3 acres I think I will build a real coop and let the birds free range all day.

We have 4 "teenager" hens and I clean up the poop with a kitty litter scoop every other day in the coop. It sifts out nicely. I have shavings in the coop (straw in the unused nesting boxes) Their run is on grass and some gravel (a 10 x 10 dog kennel). I go in with my dog pooper scooper to get the larger poops daily and then every other day, while it's so hot, I hose down the grass and poop to wash it down and it keeps it cool too. This morning I did both and it only took 15 minutes tops.

On a side note: this morning I almost thought Ginger (EE) was going to drink out of the hose! She came so close to me, it was funny! It didn't bother her at all.

how long it takes y'all. It took me
cool.png
About 10 minutes twice a week and 2 hours once a year.

Last edited:
Deep litter method here too. 8 hens in a 8x6 coop. I turn/fluff the bedding daily and add more shavings as needed. Takes 3 minutes. :) I just finished their run so I'm not sure yet how I'm going to manage that. Maybe put down some homemade wood chips once the grass is gone.

Pine shavings in the coop - five minutes a day to scoop out the biggest piles under the roost (using kiddie shovel that came with a beach pail) & fluff the rest. A full down scrub takes me about 20 minutes - empty out all litter, scrub walls & floor, spray w/bleach solution, rinse again. Pretty easy & quick because it's painted with high-gloss paint.

Dried grass in the run. Just recently started this and so far zero maintenance, no flies, and smells nice in there. The girls scratch & turn it for me. I changed it once just to see how long it would take - 15 minutes to rake it up, chuck it out with a pitchfork, & haul it to the compost bin. Spreading new grass took 5 minutes. Don't know yet how often I will have to change it out, but I can't imagine any more than once a month (based on what I've seen so far).

Honestly the waterers are far more of a pain than the coop & run. Those get scrubbed out daily.
sad.png

Quote: Have you tried the horizontal water nipple buckets??? They have made my life a DREAM! No more daily changing of waterers, no more daily scrubbing of the waterers....it's great! If you want more info in case you haven't seen them yet, just let me know!

Deep litter inside and out.

Inside, mabe 2 minutes a week (fluff and or add), then add 1 hour for early fall cleanout.
50 square feet, 12 birds.

Outside has not been cleaned in over 5 years, nor does it need to be.
200 square feet, smells like the wooded area surrounding it (deep litter also).

Designed for ease of use.

Back
Top Bottom