How long does it take YOU to clean your coop?

hello again!!! I am very slow at responding ,,please forgive me yes I see your coop now ,I missed it b4,,and I do have similar ones ,,yours is very up dated seems now I am trying to learn how to put pic on ,,I have not accomplished that yet,,but soon I hope

hello again!!! I am very slow at responding ,,please forgive me yes I see your coop now ,I missed it b4,,and I do have similar ones ,,yours is very up dated seems now I am trying to learn how to put pic on ,,I have not accomplished that yet,,but soon I hope
In the editor, there's a button with a picture of a mountain and a sun, click on that, and follow the wizard to upload an image.

I have 23 hens and 2 coops (each w/3 windows) with attached hardware clothed runs.

1) 7 hens, 6x8 coop, 12x12 run
2) 16 hens (including 8 bantams), 6x10 coop, 16x16 run.

Poop decks under all roosts, filled with Sweet PDZ.
Every morning 20-30 mins tops: I scoop all poop decks with a litter scooper and kids beach sand tray for pieces that fall through the scooper. And turn and scoop out occasional stray poops in the floor shavings.
And I obsessively rake poop from both runs several times /day. It all goes to a compost pile. I have NO flies and no odor and it gives me plenty of opportunities to observe and enjoy their behavior. My step-father came over unexpectedly one afternoon for garden manure and couldn't find a single morsel in the coop.
lol.png

The interior pic of coop #2 was taken just as they were joining me but it looks pretty much the same way 3 months later. I supply the runs with hay, peat moss, leaves, whatever gives them safe stuff to pick around in. They pretty much stay on the coop roosts until I let them out (5-6am) so the floor stays clean.

I know I'm going to be slammed for saying this, but I'm appalled at what I read and observe regarding the typical coop maintenance and the deep litter method is disgusting. I wouldn't force my hens to live in an atmosphere that I wouldn't keep my dogs, cats or self in!

So slam away, but I prefer a clean coop at all times!

o

I have 23 hens and 2 coops (each w/3 windows) with attached hardware clothed runs.

Every morning 20-30 mins tops: I scoop all poop decks with a litter scooper and kids beach sand tray for pieces that fall through the scooper. And turn and scoop out occasional stray poops in the floor shavings.
And I obsessively rake poop from both runs several times /day. It all goes to a compost pile. I have NO flies and no odor and it gives me plenty of opportunities to observe and enjoy their behavior. My step-father came over unexpectedly one afternoon for garden manure and couldn't find a single morsel in the coop.
lol.png

The interior pic of coop #2 was taken just as they were joining me but it looks pretty much the same way 3 months later. I supply the runs with hay, peat moss, leaves, whatever gives them safe stuff to pick around in. They pretty much stay on the coop roosts until I let them out (5-6am) so the floor stays clean.

I know I'm going to be slammed for saying this, but I'm appalled at what I read and observe regarding the typical coop maintenance and the deep litter method is disgusting. I wouldn't force my hens to live in an atmosphere that I wouldn't keep my dogs, cats or self in!

o

Looks great. I find that if I clean away all new poop on the floor before I start cleaning the poop board the coop stays clean. Unless it rains they are out free ranging or under the shade tree where I have a mist system set up and a 16.5 x 16.5 sun shade tarp set up near the tree.

It was a tad on the rainy side here on yesterday, so I decided to take the time to freshen up the coop. It is about 12 x 20 feet, I have 21 birds at present. Taking everything out and doing some upgrading and maintenance I spent around three hours of work. Of course it took me the better part of the day… but I enjoy the husbandry part of chicken keeping as well as the birds themselves.

A good time to take stock of how your last coop layout has worked and some thought into how to perhaps improve on it. The birds free range, so it did not bother them in the least. I use pine shavings for my floor and the fresh smell and look of the litter, plus the little rain storms that passed by reminded me of Fair time. A first hint that we are heading full swing into harvest time and the pullets will soon begin to lay.

Any time spent with animals that you appreciate, is time well spent, as such cleaning the coop is not a chore.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Looks great. I find that if I clean away all new poop on the floor before I start cleaning the poop board the coop stays clean. Unless it rains they are out free ranging or under the shade tree where I have a mist system set up and a 16.5 x 16.5 sun shade tarp set up near the tree.
When my first 4 hens were free ranging last year, one was killed by a fox right in front of me and the other three hens. It was so traumatic I can't even imagine free-ranging them again. I wish I could but I have too many aerial and land predators. Everyone around here is constantly losing their chickens to predators.

When my first 4 hens were free ranging last year, one was killed by a fox right in front of me and the other three hens. It was so traumatic I can't even imagine free-ranging them again. I wish I could but I have too many aerial and land predators. Everyone around here is constantly losing their chickens to predators.
That's awful.
My chickens free range inside our fenced in backyard. At night they are locked up in their coop. Their coop is on a slab and we used hardware cloth secured with wood on the open areas. If a hawk should get one during the day, not impossible, but unlikely, I would feel awful. I keep a pistol with rat shot loaded at all times.

And thus the very reason I, too, do not free-range @mainchicklet .... My little flock are secure in their very roomy run, just too much blood, sweat and tears into my girls to have them succumb to a scumbag predator...

lol.png

o

I have no intention of "slamming you." Just a gentle reminder, though, that sometimes it isn't what's being said, it's the way it's said.

Back
Top Bottom