How long to give her?

Not if it's a snake it would eat one whole then go away for about 3-4 days come back and eat again, course living in GA. I'd say you have plenty of snakes .most predators haven't anyway to carry eggs other than their mouths. a duck egg would probably fill it up.

Good point.
I suspect a fox.
Today there's only 2 eggs now. And One of those was laid this morning.
My daughter spotted a fox in yard yesterday.

I have more insight for y she might not be siting on the eggs,

Ducks know when eggs aren fertile or when offspring aren't gonna hatch because of some kind of natural condition (ex. Humidity)

Also did u buy a male separately or at the same time as her , if u bought him at the same time as her it's more likely it's her brother so she won't sit on the eggs because she knows they're inbred and won't survive the hatch

The drakes are not related to the hens.
They were brought it to the flock at separate times but thanks for the thoughts!

Good point.
I suspect a fox.
Today there's only 2 eggs now. And One of those was laid this morning.
My daughter spotted a fox in yard yesterday.

The drakes are not related to the hens.
They were brought it to the flock at separate times but thanks for the thoughts!
So if she was brooding he could actually take your duck? I think I'd destroy that nest and somehow close it off and hope she nest in a safer location.

I bought my mallards at an Dodges Agway, There were about 40 ducklings in the pen and I took 8 What are the chances that they are related and therefore wouldn't be able to hatch ducklings?

Last edited:
So if she was brooding he could actually take your duck? I think I'd destroy that nest and somehow close it off and hope she nest in a safer location.

That's exactly what I did.
Removed the eggs to remove food source and she's not been back to it to lay.
Hope she tries again somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom