How many bugs should I offer?

speedyfuzzball

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Long Island, NY
I have three 11-day old chicks who I offered roaches for the first time today. They were tiny, baby dubia nymphs and they seemed to love them. How many should I offer them a day for it to still be a healthy amount for a treat?

The rule of thumb on BYC for treats is, not over 10% of their daily food volume. I don't know where this comes from, or how valid it is, but it seems logical enough to me, as that should still ensure they're getting a balanced diet in most of their food.

think of their starter/grower as power bars. Nutritionally complete for sustained life, but boring and a poor second to real food. Bugs, greens, fruit, meat. . . chickens are walking food machines. I give mine all kinds of kitchen scraps and do so from the 3rd day home or so. make sure to offer free choice grit at the same time.

Thanks! I did hear about the 10% rule but I wasn't sure what that amounted to in bug #s. it's kind of hard to know exactly how much starter they're eating. Maybe I'll offer three roaches per chick per day or so. I put a bowl of dirt in for them so they can find grit :)

There are tiny rocks in the dirt they can use as grit :) if you buy your own, you can put it in a separate dish or ive read some people sprinkle it over the food or on the ground

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom