How Many Cc Of Tylan 50 Do Chickens Get? Help Asap

ambermarie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Mount Holly, NC
Trying to give my chickens some Tylan 50. They are about 11wks old, ad probably a pound. The only needles I have are in cc.

Their are different amount for Swine & Cattle. I was going to go by the Swine 1, with says 4mg per pound of body weight

So how many cc's is this? 1/2 a cc, 1/4 a cc?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP, AS MY CHICKENS REALLY NEED THIS!

You need ....
Terramycin Ointment for their eyes. That will clear the crust! It is safe for the chickens too.

And you need Sulfadimethoxine Antibiotic to add to their water STAT!!!

Keep them confined just like your doing. If I were you I wouldn't even keep the sick ones in the same cage.

You can get both of those things at your local feed and seed!

Just my opinion.... I had the same symptoms with some of my birds and it worked for me!
Good Luck!!!!

ml = cc. mg = milligrams does not = cc's.

1/8th cc Tylan50 for that size bird. 1/4th cc for an adult bird. Three days only, in the breast muscle, change places each day.

Important question though - do any of the birds' heads stink, the drainage? If so, that's coryza. Otherwise I wouldn't feel that the sulfa drugs are as effective as the Tylan can be. Of course, your best bet would be take one of the birds to a vet and get a "culture and sensitivity" done on the drainage from its head. The bird doesn't have to be sacrificed for that. Don't allow the vet to simply give you antibiotics from seeing the bird; this board could do as much probably with more experience.

If you're using Tylan50, you can also mix the tylan50 with sterile saline wash (1 part tylan to 4 parts wash) and put a drop in each eye, and use as a nasal flush.

I'll include an article on other supportive methods to treat respiratory illness that work for any type of respiratory illness as it supports the basic respiratory system below.

Added: I see you gave the 1/2 cc first dosage - that should be fine. Try the 1/4th cc next time though.
smile.png
At least you got a good start.

Last edited:
Quote:
OK I see - I was going by the dosage of 1 mL per 6.25 pounds, http://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-50-injection.html.

Tylan50's
1 ml has 50 mg with a dosage of 35mg per 1 kg caged bird weight, according to Merck. 1kg=2 lbs
35 mg = 2 lbs bird dosage; 50 mg is 143% of 35mg, so 1 ml treats a 2.86 pound bird. 1 cc = 1 ml so 1/2 cc treats a 1.43 pound bird.

Thank you.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have used Tylan 50 injectable and it works very well. I used .25cc for bantams and a little extra if they were pretty bad. It was when it got REALLY cold last winter a couple got sick. Nothing seemed to work and the tylan knocked it right out. Inject into breast muscle and switch sides daily. I used it 3 days and they were about better but went an extra day just to make sure.

OK, I didn't get a response, but I did get my answer.

She's doing so much better. I gave her a first injection yesterday and a second today. She's not gurgling/wheezing anymore. She's breathing freely. She's still weak, but has more energy than she had yesterday.

Tylan 50...highly recommended for respiratory infections!

Back
Top Bottom