How many chicken tunnels (chunnels) are there?

Over the past week I built about 50' of chicken tunnels. I am a 64 yr. old woman, so if I can do it anyone can. I had planned to let my 4 hens, (now 10 wks old,) free range, but began thinking twice about that idea. The tunnels are in sections, movable, and there are 3 taller, wider sections at the end making a 10' X 4' room. The sections are made with bamboo poles, (holes drilled at ends,) tied together in triangles with cable ties, covered with plastic mesh, and secured to the ground with tent stakes. The chickens must step over the cross pieces but this doesn't seem to slow them down. It is fairly easy to move the whole system to fresh areas that need 'work'. The day I first opened the tunnel, the chickens were in the corner of their pen watching me fasten it together. Right away they had figured out that 1. it was for them, and 2. this is where it would connect. Each day I added more sections as I built them. They love it. It's fun to see them all running down the entire length. They are locked in their shed at night and only allowed in the tunnel during the day. I realize that the tunnels are not truly predator proof, but it is less vulnerable, and so far, so good. If I decide on free range in the future, these sections will then be used to cover plants in the garden to protect them from the chickens.

Over the past week I built about 50' of chicken tunnels. I am a 64 yr. old woman, so if I can do it anyone can. I had planned to let my 4 hens, (now 10 wks old,) free range, but began thinking twice about that idea. The tunnels are in sections, movable, and there are 3 taller, wider sections at the end making a 10' X 4' room. The sections are made with bamboo poles, (holes drilled at ends,) tied together in triangles with cable ties, covered with plastic mesh, and secured to the ground with tent stakes. The chickens must step over the cross pieces but this doesn't seem to slow them down. It is fairly easy to move the whole system to fresh areas that need 'work'. The day I first opened the tunnel, the chickens were in the corner of their pen watching me fasten it together. Right away they had figured out that 1. it was for them, and 2. this is where it would connect. Each day I added more sections as I built them. They love it. It's fun to see them all running down the entire length. They are locked in their shed at night and only allowed in the tunnel during the day. I realize that the tunnels are not truly predator proof, but it is less vulnerable, and so far, so good. If I decide on free range in the future, these sections will then be used to cover plants in the garden to protect them from the chickens.
I love the triangle tunnels, how clever of you. I can see the chickens are loving it!
celebrate.gif

I like your design SueT. That looks a very affordable solution. That netting was on sale for $8 for 25 feet at Home Depot.

Really loving the new Chunnel photos- I enjoy this thread, and seeing how people allow their chickens to run around (while not getting into everything!)

We've been spending this Labor Day Weekend fencing in our raised bed garden and constructing a chicken tunnel of our own. Can't wait to put some hens in it.

The top photo is our progress so far. We've almost passed the coop entrance. The idea is to make the tunnel encircle the entire garden perimeter. The bottom photo is after we reloaded the coop, but before starting the tunnel.

Still trying to figure out how to deal with the garden entrance. Go underground? Build a removable section infront of the gate?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom