How many chickens is too few chickens to stay warm in a coop?!

Get Vetricyn instead, it won't cover up the status of the wound.

Air movement is good, just not strong enough drafts that could literally ruffle feathers on the roost.
Good discussion about it....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts.1048597/

That's much better than the sweater, maybe a solid color. close to her color, would be less alarming?

Get a concrete goose, or chicken, to dress up. ;)
I always appreciate how when I have a question, so many others have already taken the time to contribute that I usually don't have to post, just search this site. Thanks for the thoughts and very helpful link on drafts vs. ventilation.

I have open windows that can’t close with gable vents. there is always a breeze...however, the roosts, feed and nesting boxes are at different heights out of the direct air flow. my waterer sits on metal hardware wire mesh that is open to the ground below...just so the water mess they make drops below and not onto the bedding...but my problem is that i have deep bedding and even though the waterer is raised about 10 inches above the actual floor, the chickens scratch the bedding onto the wire mesh. i am thinking of putting wood across the coop high enough to keep the deep bedding away from the waterer. they would have to jump over the wood to get to the food, nesting boxes and waterer but only about 6 inches. hoping that will help.

I have open windows that can’t close with gable vents. there is always a breeze...however, the roosts, feed and nesting boxes are at different heights out of the direct air flow. my waterer sits on metal hardware wire mesh that is open to the ground below...just so the water mess they make drops below and not onto the bedding...but my problem is that i have deep bedding and even though the waterer is raised about 10 inches above the actual floor, the chickens scratch the bedding onto the wire mesh. i am thinking of putting wood across the coop high enough to keep the deep bedding away from the waterer. they would have to jump over the wood to get to the food, nesting boxes and waterer but only about 6 inches. hoping that will help.
I split the coop with 3 2x6’s so the bedding is deeper on one side and not as deep near the water.

Attachments

• 0B3955BB-E514-4F8E-BBDF-B2449C2553FA.jpeg
    0B3955BB-E514-4F8E-BBDF-B2449C2553FA.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 6
  • C9D97B82-C4D7-495D-8EC3-187315FC2A8E.jpeg
    C9D97B82-C4D7-495D-8EC3-187315FC2A8E.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom