How many chickens will fit? Coop os 10x4ft. But they have the cage as well.

More pics

Attachments

• 20240505_211205.jpg
    20240505_211205.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240425_104254.jpg
    20240425_104254.jpg
    766.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240425_103947.jpg
    20240425_103947.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 4
Since you are unable to make much costs and make the right improvements I would give it a try in another direction. Are there any friends, neighbours or relatives (like fit retired people) who would like to help you?
Some city people, love to work outside in their spare time if there is no rush.
Some people love to be usefull for to others, but you never know if you don’t ask. (Volunteers?)

Some basic things like making holes in the ground and filling them with pebbles helps to avoid a muddy run.

A handy (hobby) carpenter with the right tools, could transform this setup in to a safer and better one without much costs.

Write down /sketch your wanna-have ideas and let’s see if there is someone out there that will be able to help for free or little.
We can only help to comment on your dream chicken-castle.

Are you trying to decide if you can add more chickens?
Or are you trying to make the current setup be safer for the chickens you have?

If you are talking about how many chickens you have space for:

The outside roost in coop built in in 4ft. I have multiple roosts. Bc of the mud. They obviously need a window and a door. I'm just disabled and have a hard time with help. This coop I've had 2 years and couldn't make repairs bc of medical procedures. I have more hardwire cloth that goes from one side of wood coop to nesting boxes. What is a cheap way that I can make them.safe. they also don't sleep in nesting boxes or coop upstairs. I.cant lose these babies. I just need advice. The roof of the dog kennel is reinforced with fence wire and tarps.the wood coop and
dog.the bottom kennel have hardwire cloth so the roof to coop to cage. Coop is 4×10ft long. Has hardwire clothe all around it. I have 6 nesting boxes 2 ind0or roots at least. The rooster is giant and mean.
I think you are saying one thing, and some people are taking it another way.

On this site, people commonly say:
the "coop" is the little enclosed wooden box with nests and roosts
the "run" is everything else

People often shut chickens in the coop at night or during bad weather. To use a coop that way, you need about 4 square feet of coop per chicken. For the size of the little wooden coop in your setup, that would mean it should not hold any more chickens than you already have.

If you shut chickens into that small wooden coop area, they need a lot more ventilation to keep them from getting too hot.

But if your chickens are never shut in that small space, and can always go into the area that is 4x10 feet, that changes things a bit. Ventilation in that area is obviously very good (wire mesh walls). If they sleep there, then they are not going to be too hot at night. And if they are sleeping in that bigger space, it is big enough for more chickens than you currently have (maybe 6-10 chickens total, depending on how usable the space underneath the wooden coop is.)

For daytime, people often recommend a minimum of 10 square feet of space per chicken in the "run" (whatever space the chickens have all day.) So if you have the 4x10 space, that is enough for about 4 chickens in the daytime. If they can also go in the larger space beside it, then you have room for more chickens. Again, I might say 6 to 10 total chickens, based on a guess of how big the space is, but I am not positive.

This coop I've had 2 years and couldn't make repairs bc of medical procedures. I have more hardwire cloth that goes from one side of wood coop to nesting boxes. What is a cheap way that I can make them.safe. they also don't sleep in nesting boxes or coop upstairs. I.cant lose these babies. I just need advice. The roof of the dog kennel is reinforced with fence wire and tarps.the wood coop and
dog.the bottom kennel have hardwire cloth so the roof to coop to cage. Coop is 4×10ft long. Has hardwire clothe all around it. I have 6 nesting boxes 2 ind0or roots at least. The rooster is giant and mean.

If you are trying to make them safe, I see people have already made some suggestions about that.

Different predators get chickens in different ways. Some dig underneath, some climb over the top, some squeeze in through the wire of the sides, some reach in and grab chickens through the wire mesh, some rip open tarp or other things to get in.

If the chickens usually sleep in the area with wire mesh sides, and if you already have some hardware cloth with 1/2" holes, I would probably start by putting the hardware cloth around the area where the chickens usually sleep at night. That will keep a predator from reaching in and grabbing them while they are asleep.

Other than that, I don't know which specific things to suggest in what order.

Back
Top Bottom