How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

All 3 again today!

I’ve decided to order some chicks to arrive in June. At this point most breeds I wanted are sold out until autumn, but as long as I can get another Welsummer and Dominique I’ll be happy. 😊
I love my Dominiques.
IMG_20240221_164550471~2.jpg

2 today…but no pics bc my sister let everyone out of the pen and collected the eggs.
I took the broody hen, Jade, out of the nest box this morning and set her up in a cat carrier with food and water in the shade on the porch. Boy was she unhappy! She immediately dumped the food and water and dropped a huge pile of poo….i let her roam the yard with the others when I got home, as there is only an hour or so of daylight left. Round two tomorrow.

The gals have gone back to laying in the nest boxes, well, in one nest box. I found three eggs in the right-hand box this afternoon. Martha's still brooding in the middle one.

I did look under the A-frame roost, didn't see any eggs. Just in case there was one hidden in the straw I gently raked all the straw into a pile, then put it back in small handfuls...AND I FOUND ANOTHER EGG!

:celebrate

So, 4 today.

I think my hens are figuring out how to share the new nest box that I built for them. I went out around 7:30 this morning and two hens were in the box, but no eggs had been laid yet. A few minutes later I saw that three hens were sitting in the box together, side by side.

At 9:00 I looked out the window and all seven hens were outside in their day run, which meant that it was likely that all had laid their eggs for the day. And they did a great job! All seven hens gave me an egg this morning. All clean, all unbroken and all nicely arranged in the nest box. (Three of the eggs are ceramic fakes)

View attachment 3782439View attachment 3782440

My motley crew...

View attachment 3782448View attachment 3782441View attachment 3782442View attachment 3782443View attachment 3782444View attachment 3782445View attachment 3782446View attachment 3782447
Beautiful ladies you have there!

Back
Top Bottom