How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

10 eggs from 17 hens.....lost a hen the other day to a canine that came on the farm...
rant.gif

Flock Age
43 weeks

Zoe
Nandi
Inara
Kaylee
Yolanda
Saffron
Bridget
B. Leghorn
SLW
SLW
EE
EE
EE
EE
Date
Laying Record

# of
Eggs

3/11
day off
2:45pm
on hiatus
8:30am
8:45am
9:15am
day off
3/12
9:00am
5:15pm
on hiatus
10:30am
11:15am
11:30am
day off
3/13
11:00am
day off
on hiatus
12:45am
1:30am
9:30am
3/14
1:00pm
1:30pm
1:15pm
4:00pm
3/15
4:45pm
10:00am
day off
3:00pm
4:45pm
day off
12:30pm
3/16
day off
6:00pm
day off
3:00pm
3/17
12:00am
day off
day off
day off
3/18
12:15am
5:00pm
8:30am
day off
1:15pm
9:30am
3/19
12-2pm
2-4pm
day off
10-12pm
8-10am*
3-5pm
10-12pm
5-6
3/20
2-4pm
3-5pm
8-10am
12-2pm
10-12pm*
day off
12-2pm
5-6

Hubby is en route to Florida tonight, and will be gone until Wednesday...

We spent all day yesterday out in the yard hauling all kinds of compost and soil preparing this year's garden... and then were up until just past 5am, doing laundry, cleaning and packing his bags... Before I went to bed though, while it was still dark... knowing there was no way I was getting up at 8 to deal with the chicken chores, I decided to run out there and do them at a quarter to 5... They were all surprised... I think it outright offended Yolanda, as she took a second day off in a row. It' was a dark and grey, rainy day here today too, so dusk came a little earlier and caught Bridget before she could lay...she was in the nestbox at 5 when I went out to check before heading to the airport, but by the time I got back, at 7 they were already on the roost, and there was no egg.

No worries though... I should get 7 out of 7 tomorrow. Lookin' forward to it. =)

Edit:

LOL... Yolanda looks like she may just be getting ready to go on hiatus now... Will I ever have all 7 hens laying regularly for more than a day?
gig.gif

Last edited:
I got 20/25, within the typical range of 18-23 that I usually get. However, one of them was a very cute little egg about the size of just a yolk. Nothing inside except egg white. I should have put it in the carton for a customer to find, just for the fun of it! But we cooked it up with some others.

Last edited:
I got 20/25, within the typical range of 18-23 that I usually get. However, one of them was a very cute little egg about the size of just a yolk. Nothing inside except egg white. I should have put it in the carton for a customer to find, just for the fun of it! But we cooked it up with some others.

Hey, I got a few like that from the old hens. and some with a small yolk.
I told people they were diet eggs
lau.gif

2/3, (nothing from Cinders, but that's no real surprise) but that's not bad for soggy damp girls on a grey day with virtually non-stop rain. In fact I think that the only time it stopped raining today was when it started to hail!
sad.png

Were you washing them to use them straight away? I was always told not to wash them until you're just about to use them, and even then only to do it if they're really dirty and risk contaminating the contents. (Something to do with the egg shell being porous, and if you wash them you risk letting bacteria pass into the egg). My friends and neighbours don't mind the odd smudge on the shell - I even leave an occasional piece of straw or fluffy feather stuck to them - just adds to the 'organic, freshly produced' feel ;)

I don't wash them, but DH feels its necessary before he puts them in the fridge. I told him it wasn't needed but he does it anyway.
8 again today

Tell him NOT TO WASH THEM. Unless they have chicken poop all over them all he is doing is EXACTLY what KeyTee said - REMOVING the natural protection that keeps bad stuff from going through the shell. If I have to wash one, I write "washed" on it so I know to use it FIRST.

The ONLY time you HAVE to wash and refrigerate them is if you are selling commercially. I sell some to friends when I have extras and they KNOW I don't wash them.

LOL... Yolanda looks like she may just be getting ready to go on hiatus now... Will I ever have all 7 hens laying regularly for more than a day?
gig.gif

Since I have yet to get even ONE day with all laying, I say "No, you have to wait your turn, you already got a 100% day"
big_smile.png

From my 12 girls:
Friday - 3/15 - 10 eggs
Sat - 11 eggs
smile.png

Sun - 7 eggs
Mon - 9 eggs

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom