How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Found this sleeping in a nest box. Apparently chickens weren't too upset about it. They laid their eggs in the nest boxes right next too it. 4/4.
Those definitely look like babies! Okay I know we don't want them in our coops and it must've been a big startle but at least she knows what a nest box is for! Lol my guess is she decided it was safe and warm. I have to say we would kill a possum of we found it in there but with her having babies I couldn't BC they would die more importantly they would suffer if you killed her your have to kill them too. In the photo she also looks more surprised to me than aggressive which is an indication that she doesn't mean much harm I don't think. We had a possum one winter when I was growing up that we found sleeping with the barn cats a couple of times and the cats didn't care. It was cold and they had wooden boxes of straw and they were all warmer sleeping together. After it warmed up it left. I swear the thing was hibernating in the box lol. Okay so I think I would put hardware cloth over the opening on the inside careful you don't want to make her mad and then leave the lid up but make sure to cover(with more hardware cloth maybe) the other nests so she can't get in there. Exposed to the elements I think she should probably change her mind and move her babies unless you just want to trap or kill them all.

Last edited:
Quote: If she's still there with her babies you should call wildlife. Hopefully they'll pick her up and relocate her. I wouldn't want the opossum to stay in my coop. Not that it's not cute she decided to have babies there.

Found the smallest egg ever

Back
Top Bottom