How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

GC, it does look a bit stormy there. We moved to a more temperate climate but do you, or anyone else know how this winter thing will affect the chickens in a warm place like Hawaii? I ask because of a related but different experience with our trees. We chopped down a large tree that revealed three trees under it- a mango, an avocado and a mulberry. Once the large tree was out, all three smaller trees thrived in the new sunlight. Then, one day the mulberry suddenly lost all its leaves and looks so 'Charlie Brown Christmas' . It was still supple, bark green, but no leaves. Then it hit me- Its fall and mulberries lose their leaves in the fall. Not so the avocado nor the mango.
Does egg production fall off for everyone in the "winter" because of the light change in winter?
BTW, we are down to 2 a day from 4 birds now. We had to cull two of our laying hens due to aggression to the little roo we have. That post here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1137726/health-help-for-a-chick-hen-pecked

GC, it does look a bit stormy there. We moved to a more temperate climate but do you, or anyone else know how this winter thing will affect the chickens in a warm place like Hawaii?  I ask because of a related but different experience with our trees. We chopped down a large tree that revealed three trees under it- a mango, an avocado and a mulberry. Once the large tree was out, all three smaller trees thrived in the new sunlight. Then, one day the mulberry suddenly lost all its leaves and looks so 'Charlie Brown Christmas' . It was still supple, bark green, but no leaves. Then it hit me- Its fall and mulberries lose their leaves in the fall. Not so the avocado nor the mango. 
Does egg production fall off for everyone in the "winter" because of the light change in winter? 
Yes supposedly less than 12 to 14 hours of light = less eggs, but I haven't experienced it yet. I turn on a light at 5am, no light in the evening, only a nightlight so they can see to jump up to the roost. I turn off the nightlight when I lock up the coop, about a half hour after sunset. Today sunset was 5:40, and I got 5/5 egg count. Tomorrow sunset will be 4:39. I will find out within a week if they can keep up their 35 eggs a week. I have red sex-links chickens. GC

Our very first from Delilah today (25wk old light Sussex)
1f600.png

& Chelsea has just laid her 16th egg in 18 days
1f60a.png

5/9
But!!! Have another confirmed layer. Now have 7/9 confirmed laying. One of the last two (my Blue Wyandotte) is definitely squatting for me and my Olive Egger isn't squatting but she's actually the oldest pullet now at 30 weeks. Will she EVER lay?!?

Back
Top Bottom