How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

I got 6 today and I think I finally convinced the broody jersey giant that now is not the time to hatch eggs. I’ve been taking away anything that resembles an egg and pushing her out of the next boxes all week. Today she spent the day roaming around the run. When the sun went down she actually went up on roost not sleeping in the nest box anymore.

I got 6 today and I think I finally convinced the broody jersey giant that now is not the time to hatch eggs. I’ve been taking away anything that resembles an egg and pushing her out of the next boxes all week. Today she spent the day roaming around the run. When the sun went down she actually went up on roost not sleeping in the nest box anymore.

That's good news!

Three, all different:

IMG_20231026_172846260.jpg

Greetings ! Been awhile since i been on here. Last spring and early summer my 12 hens were laying prolificly. 9-12 eggs a day. Since it got hot this summer the numbers have started to dwindle. As of yesterday i got 1 egg. Much of the flock is molting. Getting colder now with our first snow expected tonight. I hope they start to pick up soon. Going to get some cat food in with their 20% all flock. Been giving them a few handfulls of meal worms but thinking of getting some sunflower seeds also. Gotta get the production up! Rent is about due lol.

7 nice ones today, unless the slacker gets into gear and gives me the egg she owes me for all the food she gets!
One of my Azur Blue is trying hard to go broody, I wouldn’t of expected it from a more production type bird. But I guess she is seeing my other crazy chooks trying to go broody and figures it’s a good thing!

Meanwhile I have 7 pullets 26, and 28 weeks old who haven’t started laying yet. I wonder if they will just wait till spring now. There are also 4, 18 week old pullets, who I am sure won’t lay till spring.

Chickens, who knew they were so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom