How many Eggs did you Sell today?

Things picked up some this week sold another 4 doz so that makes 8 sold this week the most I've sold in a month, maybe everybody elses hens around here has quit and I can reduce my stockpile some.

catdaddy

That is great catdaddy! I havent had any sells lately
sad.png

Last edited:
I just sold 5 dozen. I expect to have even more this week.

I just wish I could get things evened out--I had about three months when I was getting hardly any eggs, this loses my customers. I'm not sure how to work this. I am not set up to keep the lights on a long time to keep hens laying.

Catherine

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you Catherine. Yesterday was a horrible day as far as the number of ggs that I collected. I only collected 8 eggs and I have over 100 chickens. It was a VERY dreary, misting and gloomy day yesterday. I am not set up to keep the lights on as well. I have too much property/land and the coops are too far from my house and I'm not set up to run electricity to the area needed. We have been having horrible rainy days. Although the area where the nesting boxes are covered and the hens are protected from rain, etc., the do not lay a lot on rainy days. They hate bad weather and their egg production is proof. Someone emailed me and wanted 2 dozen eggs. Thank goodness that was all that they needed. That was all that I had left. I didn't even have eggs for breakfast this morning but thats ok. My girls only lay well in temps of 65 degress or higher and no rain. They are very picky as to when they want to lay and I can't convince them otherwise. Go figure.

Kuntrygirl, I hear you. I think they have started laying pretty well, and although a little small, I am very happy with the eggs, a real rainbow basket with dark brown, speckled, tinted, blue-green, everything but white.

BUT--I had several months when I was putting out over $100/month in chicken feed, and lucky to get $10 for eggs.

Sheesh.

And the older hens are not laying yet. I can tell by the size and color of the eggs that these eggs are from the pullets.

I suggested to my husband that perhaps he should have a "talking to" with the older hens, go out with his little hatchet and just discuss matters.

Truly, though, we have never eaten the old hens. And we don't butcher our own.

I just thought it might improve their frame of mind...

Catherine

If you keep your protien levels up to 18% light levels will not matter. I get my most eggs on day when it is rainy and cloudy. I free range my chickens but do feed in winter so they have enough. My feed is 20% protien and there is no light in there coop except what they sun gives. Protien is what makes egg and gets them to lay more. Most layer feed is 15% which is not enough if you want them laying thru winter. Try it see what happens. Couple of ways to raise protien is Purnina Flock Raiser or cheap dry cat food. Both will work just add some to regualr layer and see the results in the nest box.

I sold my first eggs ever, yesterday! One dozen for $3.50. The neighbor guy we hardly ever talk to hunted me down. I think I'm going to need more chickens.
smile.png

Christina

Back
Top Bottom