How many Eggs did you Sell today?

Quote:
How are you "getting the word out" about your eggs? Everyone on this thread has great ideas for marketing eggs. Let us know what you're doing and maybe we all can help you sell some eggs.

Yes, let me know if you would like to see one of my little eggy Newsletters.

Catherine (IggiMom)

Quote:
How are you "getting the word out" about your eggs? Everyone on this thread has great ideas for marketing eggs. Let us know what you're doing and maybe we all can help you sell some eggs.

Catherine (IggiMom)

Can you post your eggy Newsletter for all to see? I think we would enjoy reading it. It's always nice to see what our fellow-eggers are doing.
tongue.png

Ok, what follows is my January Eggy Newsletter. This is not the first one, so the people know me a little, and I try to keep it chatty. I really think that they like the connection with the hens, and knowing a little about them.

I hope you like it. Do bear in mind that these are not chicken people, so it is really non technical.

I notice that the cutting and pasting has eliminated some of my punctuation and spacing.

Catherine

FAERIESPUN EGGS – JANUARY 2010

You may have noticed that many of the eggs are different colored. That is because my nice little Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans have gotten old enough to start laying. The Cuckoo Marans are a black and white speckled bird that lay the darkest eggs there are: a rich, chocolate brown.

The Welsummers lay a terracotta or speckled egg, likewise a dark brown, but not as dark as the Cuckoo Marans’. They are quiet, docile birds, light brown in color, except for the one rooster, who is flashy red, gold, and black. Welsummers are not very well known in this country, although they are gaining in popularity. However, there is one famous Welsummer. For years, the rooster on the Kellogg Corn Flakes box was a Welsummer roo, with the result that almost everyone who has a Welsummer rooster, including myself, has named him Kellogg. The roosters tend to be friendly and non aggressive, which is nice.

Oh, and regarding the speckles on the eggs: I had to let John do a lot of the care of the chickens and eggs while I was recovering from surgery, and one evening I found him enthusiastically scrubbing all the speckles off the eggs. He thought they had to be removed. Let me assure you that although you can scrub the speckles off the eggs, there is certainly no reason to do so. They are pretty. They give the eggs character. They are not in any way dirty.

Of course, we still get the occasional green egg from the Americauna (Easter Egger) hens. I have just a couple pretty Wheaten Americaunas who are laying lovely blue eggs, but I think their eggs are a little small.

We still have the reliable and friendly heritage Rhode Island Reds, and some pretty gold Buff Orpingtons. The occasional white egg comes from my one Gray Andalusian.

I am going to hatch out the chicks a little earlier this year, starting next month, in fact, to try to avoid having three months at the end of the summer while the older hens are molting and not laying, and the young pullets have not started to lay yet.

Because we have had such an awful time with raccoons, we got Sergeant, our beautiful and energetic English Shepherd boy. He has been doing guard duty. Beware, raccoons.

Here are a couple of my favorite eggy recipes:

GOLDEN PANCAKES

1 Cup cottage cheese
6 Eggs
½ - 1 Cup flour (½ cup makes them more like a crepe, 1 cup more like a regular pancake)
¼ teas. salt
¼ Cup oil
1 Cup milk
½ teas. vanilla

Put everything in the blender. Blend on high 30 seconds, twice. Bake on a greased griddle. You can put syrup on them, or fill them with jam, roll them up, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

ROASTED ONION AND MUSHROOM FRITATTA

2 teas. olive oil
2 medium white onions, peeled and sliced in ½” slices
8 Eggs
½ teas. salt
¼ teas. black pepper
2 ½ Tbl. Butter
¾ lb. mushrooms
1 ½ teas. minced garlic
1 ½ Tbl. Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbl. Chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley, or chervil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush a cookie sheet with the olive oil. Separate the onions into rings, and put them on the cookie sheet. Bake them for 12 to 15 minutes. If you want them to be more crispy on the edges, put them under the broiler for about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Lightly beat the eggs, and add the salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, Heat a large heavy skillet, add the butter, and heat until melted. Slice the mushrooms and cook them in the skillet along with the garlic until they are cooked and mostly dry. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir to coat. Sprinkle the onion rings evenly over the mushrooms and slowly pour the eggs over. Turn the heat to low and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the eggs are set and the bottom is golden.

Put the frying pan under the broiler and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the top is golden. Do not overcook.

Remove from the pan and cool slightly. Cut into wedges, arrange on a plate, and sprinkle with the chopped fresh herbs.

how much do you sell your hatching eggs for?

I am finding out that I am pretty cheap, so I may raise prices in the future, but for now, $7/dozen and $4 1/2 dozen for pure welsh harlequin duck hatching eggs. $1 less for WH/Indian runner mutts.​

2 Dozen today for $3.00 ea. People are starting to ask for eggs for Easter now but I have to explain it probably would be best if they buy the eggs they want to boil from the store since fresh eggs don't peel so easily. I still haven't found a good way to boil fresh eggs so I can peel them without making a mess. Anyone got a fool proof solution?

Quote:

Catherine (IggiMom)

Can you post your eggy Newsletter for all to see? I think we would enjoy reading it. It's always nice to see what our fellow-eggers are doing.
tongue.png

I love the eggy newsletter! I actually haven't done anything other than post on FB for my friends to see. We are going to get a sign made for the yard and I am making an ad
for Craigslist. I'm not sure what else to do to get started. Suggestions are welcome! We are considering just asking for donations instead of charging a flat fee. And we will ask
people to recycle the cartons.

Boiling eggs to use for deviled eggs or egg salad or just a good ol hard boiled egg.

I start with cold water, cover the eggs by about an 1inch of water, I then add about a 1/4 cup of white vinegar plus a good tablespoon of salt. Once they come to a boil I set the timer for 10 minutes. When they are done I run lots of cold water water over them. I let them set in cold water for about an hour. I then crack and peel them under the running water. They have been peeling wonderful. No mess at all and make very pretty deviled eggs.
Hope this works for everyone as well as it has been for me!

Tracy

Quote:
there is a thread on byc especially for boiling fresh eggs. i will try to find it and post it. if anyone else finds it before me, please post it.

Back
Top Bottom