How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

Backyarder looking for a good home for two naked neck silkie roos, because of one impossible neighbor. There are 3 of us with chickens within 5 houses on the same side of street!!

Backyarder... I live on one acre on the edge of my parents' 111 acre farm. Only animals I have are my birds-ducks, geese, chicks, turkeys & guineas. Have tried gardening, but I don't think my thumb is very green...
hmm.png

We're backyarders working to become farmers. Although we have 90 acres, it's almost completely wooded and very hilly. Lots of great hiking trails - but not much area that can be easily farmed. Five years ago we cleared off enough land to build our house and a barn. So far the barn is used for storage - no animals in it. We planted a few apple, pear, and peach trees that are growing very slowly and haven't produced much yet. After I retired last year & thus had the time to spend on it - we cleared more land and planted a small family garden near the house and then a couple weeks ago we put a small chicken coop/run in the yard. My husband cleared some land on the bottom along the river and planted corn, watermelons and sunflowers. If these endeavors succeed, we will expand next year - and hopefully become real farmers. My husband hopes to retire within a few years. Since we're out in the country we don't have any restrictions. He's a country boy, but I've never been around animals much. Our grown children laugh at the idea of my keeping chickens. So I'm out to prove that I can do it! Our granddaughters are in love with our chickens!

1/3 acre with 4 hens and 5 replacements growing out. They share the lot with the house, kids toys and our 20 X 25' garden. Oh, and a pallet compost bin. So that makes me a backyard gardener. Actually a Garth as I'm constantly protecting the garden from the chickens and kids.

Back
Top Bottom