Recommendations for someone new

ChikkieBrikki

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
I'm new but was interested in starting out, not really going any higher than five white leghorn at any given time due to local laws. Ideally, I want something that doesn't require hiring anyone, much DIY, and will last longer than two years. I've seen lots of things like Eglu and various other prefabs that paint a pretty picture and I will likely give them my money due to their convenience. I've looked at reviews and have heard a lot of pros/cons of it regarding flock size but since I'm at a hard limit due to laws, I believe it would be large enough for my chickens. However, considering I'm looking at the Pro version, I'm open to suggestions. So under 3k is another factor.

As far as predator threats, the most common are Cats, Raccoons, and Possums, as I live in the city. I've heard of people just converting sheds but I would likely need to get whatever I purchase delivered to my home. If you have any specific recommendations for sheds/coops/runs then please provide the name/link if you can. Overall I want to provide the best I can, but space is a limiting factor as I'm in the city. They'll have the backyard, which is appropriate considering the forum, so any help is appreciated.

Hi hun,
I can give you my experience with omlet products.
I started with a eglu original which was many, many years ago when they first started. It was on the ground which was fine when I was young and sprightly but now … not possible. They are easy to clean and easy to maintain. Spares are easy to purchase too and the runs are excellent with the bomb proof mesh and anti fox skirts. The clips, screw and hooks are excellent - strong and secure I never had any break throughout the four years I used it. I had three, medium breed, hens in mine which caused double layering in the nesting box from time to time which was not ideal.
Eventually I upgraded to a cube, with wheels and a one meter run as I planned free ranging. The wheels never got used as they stuck in the mud too often. Once again the product was brilliantly made, warm in the winter cool in summer. Ventilation, I felt, was minimal and could have done with more. I took to leaving the door open and shutting the run to ensure there was enough ventilation. Once again I had the piggy back laying problem. The advert specifies quite a few hens in the cube (I can’t remember exactly how many) I went from four to five and had to remove the panel between the perching area and the nesting box due to space. It was cramped to say the least. However I still say the build quality and design (apart from the ventilation issue) could not be faulted, the benefit of no risk of red mite was not to be forgotten also.
Eventually I decided to increase my flock so my darling hubby built me another hen house from the left overs of our house build so I have moved on and now have 8 hens and I am looking forward to two more next year.
I would also like to add that a friend of mine recently purchased an omlet go, on legs with a two meter run. I had a good look and was shocked to see that the plastic seemed a lot thinner, poke = bend, and the same design. Having seen the Go I would not buy one as I am unsure how it would cope with temperatures.
My cube, I forgot to say survived the summers in south west France well for around 10 years (perhaps more) the colour faded very quickly and rubber grommets perished but were easily replaced. There was a certain amount of algae around the back joints but nothing major to worry about.
Would I pay the current price of 1000€ for one now ? Hell no ! There are better options available and wooden hen houses can be burned and replaced for less than half the price if there is a red mite problem.
Hope this helps
Hugz

Hi hun,
I can give you my experience with omlet products.
I started with a eglu original which was many, many years ago when they first started. It was on the ground which was fine when I was young and sprightly but now … not possible. They are easy to clean and easy to maintain. Spares are easy to purchase too and the runs are excellent with the bomb proof mesh and anti fox skirts. The clips, screw and hooks are excellent - strong and secure I never had any break throughout the four years I used it. I had three, medium breed, hens in mine which caused double layering in the nesting box from time to time which was not ideal.
Eventually I upgraded to a cube, with wheels and a one meter run as I planned free ranging. The wheels never got used as they stuck in the mud too often. Once again the product was brilliantly made, warm in the winter cool in summer. Ventilation, I felt, was minimal and could have done with more. I took to leaving the door open and shutting the run to ensure there was enough ventilation. Once again I had the piggy back laying problem. The advert specifies quite a few hens in the cube (I can’t remember exactly how many) I went from four to five and had to remove the panel between the perching area and the nesting box due to space. It was cramped to say the least. However I still say the build quality and design (apart from the ventilation issue) could not be faulted, the benefit of no risk of red mite was not to be forgotten also.
Eventually I decided to increase my flock so my darling hubby built me another hen house from the left overs of our house build so I have moved on and now have 8 hens and I am looking forward to two more next year.
I would also like to add that a friend of mine recently purchased an omlet go, on legs with a two meter run. I had a good look and was shocked to see that the plastic seemed a lot thinner, poke = bend, and the same design. Having seen the Go I would not buy one as I am unsure how it would cope with temperatures.
My cube, I forgot to say survived the summers in south west France well for around 10 years (perhaps more) the colour faded very quickly and rubber grommets perished but were easily replaced. There was a certain amount of algae around the back joints but nothing major to worry about.
Would I pay the current price of 1000€ for one now ? Hell no ! There are better options available and wooden hen houses can be burned and replaced for less than half the price if there is a red mite problem.
Hope this helps
Hugz
Thank you for the insight; I will take this into consideration. The Eglu mostly got my attention due to how easy it looked to keep things clean and protect my chickens when I'm not outside with them; With the pro version looking rather roomy when considering I can't own a large flock and they'd mainly be using it to sleep/lay but spending most of their day in a run/free roam.

You don't mention your climate, so recommendations for a hot and humid climate would differ greatly from Alaska, for example.

For 5 birds you'd be looking for a coop around 20 sq ft floor space (not including nest boxes). So a very small shed would work if you want walk in, or a renovated playhouse, maybe a trash can storage shed, etc. You'd need to cut in ventilation and a pop door, add roosts and nests.

You don't mention your climate, so recommendations for a hot and humid climate would differ greatly from Alaska, for example.

For 5 birds you'd be looking for a coop around 20 sq ft floor space (not including nest boxes). So a very small shed would work if you want walk in, or a renovated playhouse, maybe a trash can storage shed, etc. You'd need to cut in ventilation and a pop door, add roosts and nests.
Tropical. So rain, no snow, with summers averaging 90-100.

One of the easiest and the best bang for your buck is to get a shed and convert it.

I'm in Florida, so hot and humid, and you definitely want lost of ventilation. But protection from sun exposure is important too. Where you place the coop in a hot climate really matters. Deep shade is best.

To convert a shed, keep in mind that ventilation should be placed up high under the ceiling, and you need overhangs to keep rain out of the hardware cloth covered openings.

Alternatively, you can knock one wall out and have that connected to a roofed run area. That is a nice way to have a cool, fresh coop.

Any kind of prefab is going to be too hot and too difficult to ventilate without running into design difficulties (such as wind blowing directly on your hens on the roost).

Keep in mind, a starting number of chickens almost always turns into "Remember when we were only going to keep __ ?!"

Back
Top Bottom