How many of you FULLY Free Range your Cornish X Meaties? Tractors do not count.

That's awesome :)

Many good days, and only one bad day right?

I was holding one of the males last night. Holy heavy! Really heavy. I wish I had a food scale. I doubt my Wii will weigh a chicken properly. It's on my grocery list (food scale).

All I can tell is many weigh more than my 6 pound cat.
I have the Saga Mercury Pro 86 Scales, and it is a very nice set of scales. Measures in grams, ounces, pounds, and kilograms. with a 86 lb/ 39 kg max.
Not sure what you'd have to pay being in Canada, but I got it from eBay for just $17 delivered. And the cheapest 11 lb Taylor scales at Walmart was $25 plus tax, and a trip to Walmart.
So it was a no brainer!

I have the Saga Mercury Pro 86 Scales, and it is a very nice set of scales. Measures in grams, ounces, pounds, and kilograms. with a 86 lb/ 39 kg max.
Not sure what you'd have to pay being in Canada, but I got it from eBay for just $17 delivered. And the cheapest 11 lb Taylor scales at Walmart was $25 plus tax, and a trip to Walmart.
So it was a no brainer!
Thanks! I'll see if they have one on ebay.ca :)

Aoxa, saw this video and thought of you....best YT vid ever!
LMAO!! I died!! The gateway livestock is so true XD
I'm going to process a few of the biggest ones this weekend at 7 weeks. I need some cash to buy more feed because we have 20 more coming in next week. I already have 30 ordered from family members and friends alone.
Id love for you to come down soon and help me pick which of the RIR roosters to process and how to do it properly(Would rather have people with experience go through it with us the first time). Were on the lookout for a billy service soon too. Fall is coming :D

My meat birds free ranged. They were extremely happy and healthy...running about and all. I now have a much bigger flock and am back to work (teacher) so I do pen them during the day:( mostly because I lost 9 of my layers and 2 ducks in only 2 hours of being absent in midday from a predator.

LMAO!! I died!! The gateway livestock is so true XD
Id love for you to come down soon and help me pick which of the RIR roosters to process and how to do it properly(Would rather have people with experience go through it with us the first time). Were on the lookout for a billy service soon too. Fall is coming :D
Yeah we will have to do that.

I have a lot of processing ahead of me.. They are 8 weeks old now, and a few are bigger than my full grown barred rock hens. Some girls are small, but almost all the boys are really large. I think I'd get all pullets next time. I find they are much less feed aggressive, and are better foragers. They all are good, but the girls are better.

There is one boy that needs to be done. He has a hard time walking. Not sure what's up with that. I know I jammed a pullet in the door, but she got over it. It wasn't the boy that I am noticing. I will process him tomorrow.

Best tasting birds I have EVER had. Susan made this chicken broth that is to die for out of the bones and leftover meat.

Yeah we will have to do that.

I have a lot of processing ahead of me.. They are 8 weeks old now, and a few are bigger than my full grown barred rock hens. Some girls are small, but almost all the boys are really large. I think I'd get all pullets next time. I find they are much less feed aggressive, and are better foragers. They all are good, but the girls are better.

There is one boy that needs to be done. He has a hard time walking. Not sure what's up with that. I know I jammed a pullet in the door, but she got over it. It wasn't the boy that I am noticing. I will process him tomorrow.

Best tasting birds I have EVER had. Susan made this chicken broth that is to die for out of the bones and leftover meat.
yum yum. Im looking forward to making duck bacon and this korean duck recipe i saw at some point. I love making broth too.

Our first year we tractored our CX but ended up not caring for that method. They mowed down the grass too fast and moving the tractors was a pain. Now we don't truly free range due to dog and fox issues but have a very large expanse of electric netting and love raising them that way. They are much healthier and happier.

Back
Top Bottom