How many of you FULLY Free Range your Cornish X Meaties? Tractors do not count.

Pics
Yes, they do have more feathers as they are older when they are butchered out than the CX. Think about how many feathers a DP bird has at 2 mo. of age compared with one at 5-6 mo. of age. These CX are just babies, so their feathers just seem to wipe off their bodies...easiest plucking I've ever done!

Yes, they do have more feathers as they are older when they are butchered out than the CX. Think about how many feathers a DP bird has at 2 mo. of age compared with one at 5-6 mo. of age. These CX are just babies, so their feathers just seem to wipe off their bodies...easiest plucking I've ever done!
I found the CX had more feathers than my DP birds.

They were easier to pluck if done RIGHT after the killing, but there were so many little hairs that we had to get off, so it took quite some time. At the end of the butchering, we decided to kill four at once, pluck four and then gut four. Bad idea. The ones that were not freshly dead, were much harder to pluck.

Also, what is the correct water temp? That may have played a role in our difficult plucking. The skin started to tear in some, but all in all not too bad.

Easiest birds to pluck are the naked necks. They are feathered very sparingly through their entire body.

I also tried to skin.. Nope. Not good at that. I like the skin as well, but thought it would be easier.

They were easier to pluck if done RIGHT after the killing, but there were so many little hairs that we had to get off, so it took quite some time. At the end of the butchering, we decided to kill four at once, pluck four and then gut four. Bad idea. The ones that were not freshly dead, were much harder to pluck.

Also, what is the correct water temp? That may have played a role in our difficult plucking. The skin started to tear in some, but all in all not too bad.

Easiest birds to pluck are the naked necks. They are feathered very sparingly through their entire body.

I also tried to skin.. Nope. Not good at that. I like the skin as well, but thought it would be easier.
Most experts will tell you between 140*F and 160*F. When I did my Cross Rocks I had the water at 148, and dunked and swirled them a few time checking after each time to see how the feathers came out, once the feathers on the wings pulled easily I put them in the plucker. I did two at a time, and things could not have got better. I went straight from the dunk pot, to the plucker, then I's take one at a time to eviscerate. It would then go straight to the cold bath to rest until all were finished, I then shrink bagged them and into the refrigerator for three days before eating or freezing.

I never really check water temps...it's hot, steaming, I dip the bird and give a swish, bring it out and test a feather. What I see with most inexperienced people is that they leave the bird in too long and it cooks the bird's skin or the water is too hot and they cook it as soon as they dip it and then they can't leave it in long enough to loosen feathers. It's just one of those things you get used to over time and you get a feel for it. Just takes time to get the hang of things...

I never really check water temps...it's hot, steaming, I dip the bird and give a swish, bring it out and test a feather. What I see with most inexperienced people is that they leave the bird in too long and it cooks the bird's skin or the water is too hot and they cook it as soon as they dip it and then they can't leave it in long enough to loosen feathers. It's just one of those things you get used to over time and you get a feel for it. Just takes time to get the hang of things...
Yeah I figured. I know it was too hot at one point (started to boil). I'll get the hang of it I'm sure. Still have 25 two week olds to do as well. On top of the 20 more we have left (most of which are girls).

I've never butchered a female yet. I'm interested to see the internal organs. :)

My chickens got all the organs except the intestines. The dogs got all the legs and necks. I have two big bags of frozen legs left. Henry ate at least four legs and a few necks. He eats the legs toenails and all.

Can you do anything with the intestines? I fed them at 4pm on Sunday night and started processing at 10 am today. They still had lots of poop going on.

I just toss them out and the chickens eat what they want out of the mix.
It's very entertaining to watch them devour the organs.

And why is it hard to find feed that has animal protein? Obviously they are not vegetarians
roll.png

The only organ they didn't seem to eat much of was the gizzard. I know a lot of humans eat this part, but I'm not a fan. They did eat any extra fat or skin around it.

It's very entertaining to watch them devour the organs. And why is it hard to find feed that has animal protein? Obviously they are not vegetarians
roll.png
The only organ they didn't seem to eat much of was the gizzard. I know a lot of humans eat this part, but I'm not a fan. They did eat any extra fat or skin around it.
One of my biggest frustrations with feed is the vegetarian thing. I haven't found any feeds locally with any animal protein. They all brag on being vegetarian. So. Annoying. Mine tend to gobble feed in the morning, lay around all day, then forage in the evening. I mowed around their coop last night, and it was funny watching them trying to catch grasshoppers that flew up away from the tractor on their stumpy legs.

One of my biggest frustrations with feed is the vegetarian thing. I haven't found any feeds locally with any animal protein. They all brag on being vegetarian. So. Annoying.

Mine tend to gobble feed in the morning, lay around all day, then forage in the evening. I mowed around their coop last night, and it was funny watching them trying to catch grasshoppers that flew up away from the tractor on their stumpy legs.
I know! They brag about it like it's a good thing!

I find mine lay around a bit in the morning as well, but by 9 or 10am they are running around. Up until supper feeding at 5pm. After supper they nap for an hour or less and are back out foraging.

Hey guys id love ideas to give my birds protein right now. I live in the middle of nowhere so its hard to get rarer stuff. For those who eat beatles and bugs that can escape that you breed for reptiles(Not mealies but other types like crickets etc) How do you feed them to keep them from escaping everywhere in your barn? and what other types of protein can I offer. My turkeys are looking ok now but I just worry. and how often should I give protein?

Back
Top Bottom