How many people countrywide is Tyson chicken allowed to harm from a recall and continue business as usual?

Here's one from 2021

UPDATE: The size of the recall grew by close to 500,000 pounds to nearly 9 million pounds.

The USDA classified the announcement as a "Class I" recall and said this is "a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...lix-stores-listeria-contamination/7867915002/

9 million pounds of health consequences or DEATH....

If only Tyson Chicken was at least NPIP certified, so many people would be safe from contaminated chicken, over and over again.

Put Tyson and NPIP in the rear view.

Grow your own chicken or buy local.

Tyson's been putting out recalls multiple times a year for, "foreign matter contamination" or "possible metal parts" for years now. I haven't bought anything from them in forever. Its actually surprising how they are still in business .
Exactly! It's almost as if government programs are protecting them while at the same time implementing hurdles to small farmers.

You linked a recall from 2021?

Here you are - FDA's recall central, keyword "Chicken"

Why, its almost as if the big producers are using regulatory capture in the name of public safety to raise the barriers to entry (they are, actually). By testing for things like metals, plastics, listeria, salmonella, e coli and using granular tracking to follow lot numbers, suppliers, production runs, and locations. Much as "certified Organic" has the backing of a few large producers who have used regulation to raise the record keeping and inspection requirements to a point out of reach for the typical small farmer.

Local chicken is the Past.

...and yes, I raise and eat my own (chicken, goat, duck, rabbit). Others are unwilling to take such risks, and choose instead commercially produced products where the risk of injury or illness from consumption is remote. Tyson processes 47,000,000 chicken a week (2022). To help you put 9 million pounds of breaded chicken product into perspective.

and NPIP doesn't test for listeria.

Tyson's been putting out recalls multiple times a year for, "foreign matter contamination" or "possible metal parts" for years now. I haven't bought anything from them in forever. Its actually surprising how they are still in business .
same. my mom just buys boneless chicken breast, then makes her own chicken tenders in the air fryer.

We don't eat our chickens because my husband won't. He knows fresh chicken tastes much better, but he'll have no part of it.

He's happy to eat the eggs they produce.

So I buy chicken meat (grudgingly) but not eggs. My relationship to my husband beats my desire for self sufficiency in that regard. (And my chickens have become what I call "petstock.")

I don't lose sleep over any of the possible sicknesses or government intrusions that could happen. I have too many other concerns on my radar.

Exactly! It's almost as if government programs are protecting them while at the same time implementing hurdles to small farmers.
yeah. just the amount of research needed to find out how to sell live birds. apparently, I need a chicken selling permit, but it's an entirely different permit if I sell dead chickens, but only if I sell more than a thousand in one year.

Back
Top Bottom