How many people countrywide is Tyson chicken allowed to harm from a recall and continue business as usual?

We don't eat our chickens because my husband won't. He knows fresh chicken tastes much better, but he'll have no part of it.

He's happy to eat the eggs they produce.

So I buy chicken meat (grudgingly) but not eggs. My relationship to my husband beats my desire for self sufficiency in that regard. (And my chickens have become what I call "petstock.")

I don't lose sleep over any of the possible sicknesses or government intrusions that could happen. I have too many other concerns on my radar.
Same here. We have other reasons like neither one of us wants to butcher, but also, I've seen them eating mice/moles/voles the cats leave in the yard. I can't bring myself to eat their eggs half the time much less their meat.

If 15% of the US population kept 6 layers and 12 broilers… It would replace all of the industrial chicken production. Karl Hammer.

Its a nice thought, but the math doesn't work. 15% is roughly 1 in 6, which is to say that if each person maintained one hen and two broilers, they'd be kept in chicken. I don't like eggs, and use more than 200 to 250 eggs a year. and I certainly eat more than two broilers a year, to say nothing of the chicks you would have to hatch to replace aging layers and replace culled broilers.

Tyson processes 45 million chickens a week, there are about 300 million of us in the US. If they were the only chicken producer (obviously, they aren't here in the US), that's 8 broilers per person per year. US residents actually eat almost 100# of chicken per year, or roughly 2# of chicken per week, call it two broilers per month.

Thats either more owners or larger flock sizes, or both. How large depends on how eggs are beign ijncubated, hatch rates, mortality, rate of lay. My guess is that the numbers would be more like 15% of the pop maintaing a flock of 24 layers 18 if they are prime production birds) and 36 broilers, with incubation, 90% viability, and a decent rate of lay from the broilers.

So, on the right track, but needs a recheck on the math.

Added roosters this year to fertilize the eggs so the hens can hatch some chicks (to replace the old) Every year I've had to buy chicks to make my flock grow but won't have to do this anymore. A dozen eggs a day to sell or barter is plenty considering the number of hens I have is only 20.I will only keep 10 or more a year of the best and sell or trade the rest

Tyson chicken first came on my radar when in the 11th hr. Clinton pardoned him. I looked it up, and saw chicken product was dumped in river. Never forgot. I never forgave.
I remember reading that story myself! Tyson competes against farmers who sell healthy chickens that haven't been crowded and abused or kept in inhumane conditions and fed crap (not to mention the toxins they add to the soil or dump in our streams) Its not hard to figure out our biggest enemies are the very people we trust in government

Its a nice thought, but the math doesn't work. 15% is roughly 1 in 6, which is to say that if each person maintained one hen and two broilers, they'd be kept in chicken. I don't like eggs, and use more than 200 to 250 eggs a year. and I certainly eat more than two broilers a year, to say nothing of the chicks you would have to hatch to replace aging layers and replace culled broilers.

Tyson processes 45 million chickens a week, there are about 300 million of us in the US. If they were the only chicken producer (obviously, they aren't here in the US), that's 8 broilers per person per year. US residents actually eat almost 100# of chicken per year, or roughly 2# of chicken per week, call it two broilers per month.

Thats either more owners or larger flock sizes, or both. How large depends on how eggs are beign ijncubated, hatch rates, mortality, rate of lay. My guess is that the numbers would be more like 15% of the pop maintaing a flock of 24 layers 18 if they are prime production birds) and 36 broilers, with incubation, 90% viability, and a decent rate of lay from the broilers.

So, on the right track, but needs a recheck on the math.
The video is probably 15 years old. 2010 was 81 pounds of broilers per person.
The projection for 2024 is 100.6 lbs of broiler per capita. If they are 4.5 pound broilers that would be 22 broilers per person per year. If only 15% of the population raised them that load would be about 150 meat birds.

I remember reading that story myself! Tyson competes against farmers who sell healthy chickens that haven't been crowded and abused or kept in inhumane conditions and fed crap (not to mention the toxins they add to the soil or dump in our streams) Its not hard to figure out our biggest enemies are the very people we trust in government
Its weird to me that this comment doesn't have more likes from a community of back yard chicken owners, but comments in defense of industrial chicken companies and federal policies that inhibit small chicken farming get multiple likes. Seems to be the same people, too. So weird.

Its weird to me that this comment doesn't have more likes from a community of back yard chicken owners, but comments in defense of industrial chicken companies and federal policies that inhibit small chicken farming get multiple likes. Seems to be the same people, too. So weird.
Some people will defend the hand that feed$ them even if that hand is as toxic as *&%$. I think it's called Stockholm Syndrome.

The video is probably 15 years old. 2010 was 81 pounds of broilers per person.
The projection for 2024 is 100.6 lbs of broiler per capita. If they are 4.5 pound broilers that would be 22 broilers per person per year. If only 15% of the population raised them that load would be about 150 meat birds.
thank you for the explanation - I'd failed to factor time into the assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom