How many Quail coops/cages/aviaries do you keep? And why?

How many quail coops/cages/aviaries do you keep?

• 6-8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • breeding for profit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
7 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
I've got a backyard with fowl. The chickens are loud and no roosters. Meat bird raising is intense and last year we raised 2 groups, so I'm trying quail this year. I'm keeping quail for meat and as a hobby.

The options for a backyard breeder are have some friends to swap genetics with, buy fresh every few years or plan on diversity. So having a discussion about how many is needed with my beautiful bride, affectionately known as Crazy Lady, leads me to this poll. How many quail coops do you have and why? We are at 5. 3 breeder groups and 2 grow out groups. Just discovered one of the white females is a male. So, do we add a breeder group or not? The white one is a novelty and neat looking. No other reason.

Goal for me is meat and hobby. Pleasant distraction from work. Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

I have 4 button quail pens and 1 Coturnix pen at the moment. It's usually more like 2--3 cot pens; it's just offseason at the moment, and I need the space for buttons. I am currently building 4--6 more, so I can pen the breeders in pairs or trios instead of in groups.

Back
Top Bottom