How many Roos per hen should I have?

mikeksfarmer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bonner springs KS
I dont want to have bare backed girls. I have 18 mostly young birds and 4 young roos in this flock. The roos have not started mateing yet. I just dont want them to tear up my girls if this makes sence?

i have 5roos to 11 hens and they get along fine they are 100% free range i open the door to the coop at 4am and close it at 10ish and when they get out they break off into smaller groups my barred rock usually gos with my leghorn hen my banty hen and rooster are usually never anywhere to be seen and my white rock and leghorn have a group that they circle then i have a few hens that dont leave the coop cuz of the winter then theres my baby silkys that all 10 of them just run around wherever they feel like usually stay close to the coop but they are getting more adventurous but as far as the bare back thing if you seen my hens then heard that from somebody else you would think they were lying they just got done with a hard molt and some of my golden commets look kinda like BOs cuz there feathers are a lil heavier

just thought of something maybe the reason for no feather loss i got my 2 roos that are in charge therefore doing most the breeding i got at an auction witch is where i got most of my egglayer hens and they are missing toes and claws....they musta had a ruff life till i came along and bought them

I keep 2 boys with my 11 hens just to make sure everyones covered, literally. I've read on here about some breeders keeping only 2 girls w/1 roo in their seperate pens for control.

I guess all I can really say is my 2 to 11 is working just dandy. I only have 8 laying right now and every egg has been fertilized since they started to lay and none of my girls are bare backed.

Back
Top Bottom