How many Roosters is Too many Roosters?

Quote:
Thank you Kelli. Love your compliments. As for penning roos seperately, when I had 150 or so gamefowl in my yard, about 80% were roosters. I kept all the bachelors in single pens. Never hurt a one of them. They loved my treats and if I wanted chicks from them, I simply threw a hen in the pen with that one. They were all perfect gentlemen. No manfighters and gentle with the ladies. No problems..........Pop

I don't know, but with my flock 10 roos to 34 hens was way too many, they made the girls and themselves miserable and managed to kill one of my girls in their ferver to mate . So I would go with what folks have told me 1 Roo to 10-12 hens. I reduced my Roos to 3 and our chicken house is a nice place live for them now.. Everyone is happy and singing now instead of running and screaming. And as a bonus the girls feathers are growing back now! Oh and my girls are laying better now.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I cant say a number but I will say that when they start fighting among themselves there are too many. The girls take care of themselves so there is no apparent problem with over-matting. I know there are too many when the crowing increases during the day and the roos start leaving the yard on "field trips". Currently I have more roos than hens but I also have 11 peeps that will soon produce at least a few more hens.

Depends on the roosters. Some of the smaller breeds were bred to be kept penned as pairs or trios so they get along fine with even numbers. I almost always have as many serama or japanese bantam roos as hens and never a problem. My d'uccle crosses also aren't a problem. My standards though I have to keep at least twice as many hens as roos and no more than 3 roos (I aim for 2) or the hens get torn up and the roos argue. Some of my smaller roos were killed when I had too many of the standard roos and a couple hens are probably going to limping for the rest of their lives. If you have rowdier or more agressive roos you won't be able to keep as many.

Hiya...I'm a newbie here and I have a concern as I look to my 3 week old flock of chicks... I have about 20 pullets and possibly up to 5 wee roos. 1 roo has already emerged as king...I had wanted to caponize the rest, but am having trouble finding someone to help me with the process as I am wary to embark on surgery...(I had anticipated it to be a less invasive procedure). So, i guess my question is...can I let the roos mature and turn them into freezer meat by late fall/ early winter intact, or..hmm, what should I do? The coop is 80 sq ft and once grown large enough to defend against the neighbor's cat, I intend to let them free range. advice please...and thank you!

Hello everyone!!! I don't want to be a downer but...... If you have too many roo's this stress's out the hens. Stress=bad egg production. Often times when a hen is bred more that once a day it will mess with her insides and she will lay less often.... One too to every 7 hens is what's the min. Number
smile.png

Quote:
Not necessary to breed each hen every day. If he breeds each hen every 2 weeks or so, their eggs will be fertile. Back to the OP--When the hens are being abused and/or the roosters are continually fighting you have too many roosters. If his behavior is unacceptable, one rooster may be too many.

My experience? Thought because they weren't "fighting" I could keep 6 to 30 hens. All that did was make my hens stressed,bald and me miserable.I have it down to 2 roos,the girls are happier,the roos have time to dustbathe again,and my yard is MUCH quieter.Not to mention,when the girls molt...the feathers won't be worn off again. I definitely will only be keeping at a max...3 roos to 37 hens. I don't agree with caging any separately so that's the way I keep the peace...by keeping the ratio at a good level. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom