How many Roosters is Too many Roosters?

There is no easy answer to that question. I have about 40 full grown chickens (and a bunch of youngsters) and in that number are nine, yes, 9 roosters. They do not fight; they know the dominant roo is The Boss of the flock and I'm the boss of everybody.

Two of the roosters actually roost next to each other at night, like BFFs.

I have 40 hens and 4 roos. "BIG DADDY" definitely thinks that he is the only one qualified for the job and would love to see the other 3 sent to cooking school. However, that's not going to happen. My problem is that there apparently seems to be a few hen "favorites" and they are losing back feathers horribly. They may need to be separated until their feather grow back. The poor roo at the bottom of the pecking order gets no respect from anyone. He roosts alone, free-ranges alone and even the hens peck him. I'm going to sequester him with a few hens to boost his confidence. I hope that helps.

Quote:
Wow...you are the chicken master!
lol.png
They must have a lot of space! Do you have any feather wearage? Mine also didn't fight but the poor hens were a mess
sad.png

Quote:
lol.png
They must have a lot of space! Do you have any feather wearage? Mine also didn't fight but the poor hens were a mess
sad.png

Yes, they range freely on an acre, but really only use about half the land, sticking pretty close to the house. There ARE some well-worn "favorite" hens in the flock, but I dress them in chicken shawls. (Sounds nicer than saddles...)

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png
sad.png

Yes, they range freely on an acre, but really only use about half the land, sticking pretty close to the house. There ARE some well-worn "favorite" hens in the flock, but I dress them in chicken shawls. (Sounds nicer than saddles...)

True, mine don't use the full acre either.It's much more fun to stay near the people and on the porch
hmm.png
Know where to get some relatively cheap "shawls" ?
smile.png

I have 38 seven week old pullets and 4 roosters . 7' by 15' chicken house with auto waters & feeders .
Outside I have a 30' by 40' all enclosed wire pen with electric fence on outside of pen . Pen has auto waters & feeders
There is always a 40' by 7' strip of shade . What more do I need ?? I'm a newbee - want things to be right , any suggestions

My question is "does having too many roos keep them from laying eggs"?

They only sleep in the coop. They free range every day, all day. They get feed 2X a day. Everyone lives in harmony, except for the occasional minor scuffle. The single hen does give me eggs, but likes to go broody AAAALLLLLOOOOOOOTTTTTT.

Total 7 male, and 10 female.
List of who sleeps in the coop
TOTAL AGE SEX Size
4 31 w pull std
4 31 w roo std
1 1 1/2 yr hen game
1 1 1/2 yr roo std
1 30 w roo banty
2 30 w pull banty
2 19 w pull std
1 19 w roo std
1 14 w F??? Pekin Duck

Here is my coop. Nest boxes have been added since this pic was taken.

Here are my chickens

I am getting a 3-4 month old roo next month. I have 4 ladies (2-1year old, 2-2years old). This spring I am planning on getting more chicks (I have space for about 20), but they are sold straight run. I dont want to end up with too many roos. I assume because he is the oldest, the first roo will be dominant. At what age will the others start coming into their own and if I have to send them to freezer camp or rehome them, at what age are we looking?
In general, if you get 15 chicks that are straight run, what is the average amount of roos? I assume 50%? And what is the average loss between chick and adult-hood (illness, picking on by others, failure to thrive?) I would like to end up with close to 18 females and 2 roos when all is said and done. And, I am not really interested in sexlink. I would like to end up with a couple Marans, lace wyandottes, sussex, aracuna and olive eggers each. I figure a nice mix will help me decypher who may have laid which eggs, right now, I have 4 ladies, but 2 are molting and 2 did not start laying before the shortened winter days, so the 2 who do lay have light brown eggs, but are getting older so I was only averaging 3 eggs a week...

Back
Top Bottom