How Many Runners Should I Get?

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
I've got one, her male companion was killed by a hawk/eagle in September. I still have a male pekin and rouen and 2 female rouens and everyone seems to get alone well but I want more runners. So I'm debating, 3? 4? or 5? I'm hoping eventually, once they're all the same size the 2 flocks will merge. Possibly I'll lose 1 or 2 to predators, like last year, so I was thinking 5.

But realistically, 3 seems like it might merge better into the group. But what do I know? I just want everyone to be happy and I don't want my poor runner left in the lurch because the new guys just want to be by themselves. I think I'm over-thinking this.

I would say 3. Mine (8) like to hang in their own "gang" and pick on the muscovys. The muscovys are starting to stand up to them, so its not so bad. They should join the other ok.

If you keep all the ducks together bringing in another drake could cause issues. I think the recommendation is like 1 drake per 6-8 hens to keep the peace.... I'm not positive.

When I hatched my runner eggs I worried I'd get too many drakes... it's near impossible to home extra roosters, never mind ducks. I got lucky I have 1 drake and 3 hens.

Where were you planning on getting more runners ?? Were you going to buy ducklings or hatch eggs ?? I know someone via e-mails that is in the Standish area that sells eggs and ducklings. I bought my eggs from him last year. As I recall he had chocolate and blue too.

I also think there is a fellow byc member in our area that has runners.... I'd have to check her profile again to be sure but you might be able to get some from her.

Julie
big_smile.png

Quote:
Standish is only a 90ish minute drive from me. If I could get blues or chocolates that would be cool. I was getting fawn and whites from my local feedstore, whom I assume gets them from Townline in Zeeland. I don't have a bator so I'd buy ducklings. Anyway you can get me in touch with him? Thanks
smile.png
(I don't have to order ducklings from the store today.)

really dodge? I have a gang of 6 muscovies and one fawn and white runner, and they're called the "Bruiser Gang", they used to always be the ones picking on the other ducks. Next I have the "Fro Fro Gang", that group consists of a crested female ruen, a crested male silver swedish, and 3 dark khaki campbells, then I have the 2 outcasts, which are the younger female fawn and white indian runner, and the male cayuga.

So obviously, the ducks roam in gangs. Lol... its their"hood". They usually do it if they're raised together.

I say get 5, that way there will be a decent sized gang.

Back
Top Bottom