how many weeks until outside full-time?

Mine are out, tonight though I worried, It will be around 19*. They are 4 weeks, have a heat lamp and straw so I think they should be alright still I'm keeping my
fl.gif

Michele

Quote:
In looking at our weather forecast for the next week, I bet you are very worried. Now I'm glad I waited until the third week in March to get my first batch of chicks.
Hope yours do alright. Gotta love Ohio weather - 65 one day 30's the next.

Quote:
Yeah, this week I was SUPPOSED to do my early garden planing (early greens, onions, oats, etc), but I couldn't get 3 straight days without rain (my soil has lots of silt and needs to be good and dry). My meaties were SUPPOSED to be out in their tractor today, but I think I'll wait another few days or a full week. Things are starting to get a little tight in the brooder!

Quote:
Yeah, this week I was SUPPOSED to do my early garden planing (early greens, onions, oats, etc), but I couldn't get 3 straight days without rain (my soil has lots of silt and needs to be good and dry).

I was able to sneak in a short row of lettuce and radishes this past weekend. About the earliest I have ever planted anything.

The worries are over and all is going good despite the cold. It seems to me that they have been warm enough. They aren't crying and for the most part they aren't even staying under the light. Its 33 and sunny so I left the front open and they are sunning. Haven't lost any and even the FR/BCM's are doing good too. I have about 3 weeks to go.

Quote:
Good to hear they are doing good. I was thinking about your birds when I was unthawing the waterers from the hen house this weekend. Isn't it amazing how they can go from chicks with special needs to being able to handle near freezing temps in just 3 weeks?

Just 12 degrees this morn. Have 2 lamps running and if I am lucky the nights are going to at least going to be in the 20's.
Just so hard to keep the temp regulated.

WOW! your overnight temps outside are warmer than the temps INSIDE my house! My 4-5 week old chick is managing just fine. He/she does love sitting on my lap by the space heater every morning!

Quote:
Good to hear they are doing good. I was thinking about your birds when I was unthawing the waterers from the hen house this weekend. Isn't it amazing how they can go from chicks with special needs to being able to handle near freezing temps in just 3 weeks?

My tractors are covered with tarps and I use a lot of straw, I think its pretty warm in there, I placed them where they would be protected from the wind. I'm still glad I did them as early as I did, I will be able to do 1 maybe 2 more groups of 11 before it gets really hot.

Fully feathered at 5 weeks if it's the typical cold weather here. Otherwise, in the barn (heck no to inside, smelly goobers!) with a heat lamp or two. Ours are 18 days old right now and according to the kids who got home when it started snowing, they are still moving around as much as normal for CX and don't mind the cold.

Once it gets to summer, they are outside always with a heat lamp if needed at night.

Back
Top Bottom