how manypeople vaccinate their flock

I ordered my chicks from Ideal, and had them vaccinated for Mareks. I feed them medicated starter to help prevent Cocci. I chose to vaccinate because there are many houses with chickens around me, and Mareks can be spread by the wind. I would be heartbroken if someone else's diseases spread here and killed my flock.

If you vaccinate yourself, make sure you know the correct ages...I think Marek's is supposed to be done immediately...within a couple days of hatch.

No, many people don't vaccinate. Mareks is airborne, Newcastle is a type of bronchitis, and coccidiosis (not sure on the details of that). My 15 chicks came on the 30th and after a day of rest, I vaccinated against Mareks and Newcastle. I give them medicated feed that will vaccinate them against coccidiosis.

My thought is this: I don't want to risk my flock. Even if these diseases don't kill the chicken, they remain carriers of the disease thus making adding to my flock risky. Newcastle is a drop to one nostril, Mareks is an injection just under the skin. They were cheap to purchase and easy to administer. Now maybe I wouldn't have had any of these infections over the life of my birds but now I know that I won't and I don't have to worry about trying to diagnose and treat a full blown infection. It brings me some peace of mind that I've treated the major illnesses. I also received a pullorum certificate from the hatchery that guarantees against avian flu and 3 other illnesses.

Vaccinating may not be necessary but it was worth the small expense. They will all need boosters for the Newcastle and Mareks but it will be even easier as they will be larger then with less fuzz!

Absolutely. I consider Marek's vaccination to be essential because it is a ubiquitous and deadly, miserable disease. And I use chick starter with coccidiostats so my flock will be resistent to coccidiosis. Even the layer pellets and scratch I use have biotics ("good" bacteria) that enhance desireable gut flora in the adult birds.

Quote:
Coccidiosis is a protozoan (microscopic animal) that survives in droppings, moist soil or wet ground, and infects the chickens' intestines.

CTChickenMom is right. "No, many people don't vaccinate." But that is because if you raise your own chicks from eggs, it can be cost prohibitive to vaccinate a small group on your own.

If you are getting your chicks from a hatchery, it is usually more than worth the $0.10-$0.25 for the piece of mind. Around here there have been reports of Mereks in small backyard flocks. One of the ladies that went in on our group order had an out break some years ago. She said it was awful. We didn't take any chances; we had the hatchery vaccinate all the chicks in our order.

edited: sorry, I can't spell.

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually vaccination is quite cheap. I can buy a bottle and get it shipped to me for a total of about $16. It is enough to vaccinate 1000 chicks. Yes, most gets wasted, but it's still cheaper than replacing even 1 full grown laying hen if it drops dead from Marek's. It's cheap protection and vaccination is easy.

I did all 12 of mine from Ideal, better to be safe than sorry is what I was taught:). But go with your heart usually always right.

Back
Top Bottom