How much do chickens.... Poop??

sloallie10

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
CA
Ok, sooo, i was taking care of my my neighboors chickens this weekend and we went in to their backyard and both of my parents ( we dont have chickens YET) were SUPRIZED how much poop there was! They have two RIR that are laying, and 2 about 10 week old BO's. My neighboors have been gone for about 2-3 maybe 4 days and i told my parents it was just becsausse the were gone for a while... SOOO, do chickens really poop that much? like needing to clean it up maybe everyweek??? I was surprized... and help?

Get a chocolate Lab,.. they clean up poop good!
sickbyc.gif

Seriously it depends on the amount of room and what you consider alot of poop. I had Cornish X (Meat Chickens for 9 weeks, and THAT was alot of poop!)

Also search on Deep Litter Method,.. its really nice way of maintaining poop.

Don

Chicken poop is great for the composter! We get 8' tall tomato plants with more tomatos than we can eat, give away, can, or feed to chickens!

I think my wife wanted chickens more for adding to the compost than for the eggs.

I dont notice , mine don't seem to poop alot per say. I use their poop for my plants. I tell you what my plants have never looked better. I also feed organic so maybe that is why I don't have smell nor to much ? Even with ducks no smell.
hmm.png

They never stop pooping. They are poop machines. They poop EVERYWHERE anytime, anyplace whenever it suits their fancy.

Indeed, they poop like there's no tomorrow. I have forty free-range chickens and there is poop EVERYWHERE!!!!! It's not so bad, though, most of it is small or dried and not noticeable, but occasionally you put your foot down and hear an unpleasant wet *squish*

sickbyc.gif

To continue the pooping conversation... (I think there should be a whole forum about poop
lol.png
)

We have 6 - 21 week Red Sexlinks and their outdoor pen has grass in it. In one week it is covered in poop. Uh - what to do???

I bought stable deodorizer and wondered if I could spred some in the outdoor-open to the sky-pen to dry it up somewhat and them rake it out??

The next question is what's the best surface for an outdoor pen? Sand so you can poop and scoop? Should I pull up the sod?

I don't think it smells too bad - I have no sense of smell so I am depending on my kids to tell me. I am worried it will offend the neighbours.

Quote:
Do you wait until it's had a season to compost before adding? Curious cause I want to use my deep litter in my garden this fall after harvest.

Back
Top Bottom