How much do chickens.... Poop??

I use the deep litter method and change the bedding every few weeks. So how do you separate the poop from the wood shavings? - or do you compost it all together? I'd love to start composting it!

Thanks!

Quote:
If you use the deep litter method you shouldn't have to change the bedding every few weeks, just add new on top, put in de or a stall dryer and mix it up when needed.

I don't separate the poop from the shavings, I don't see how you could. I dump the whole thing in the compost pile. One word of warning, it will burn when fresh. I made the mistake of dumping out my brooder on a 20' tree, the tree is now dead. This fall I will clean out my coop and mix the whole lot of it into my future spring garden along with some nice horse poop and leaves. Betcha I will have wonderful stuff next year!

Quote:
I have noticed the amount of poop depends on what they eat. Dumor (TSC brand) had them eatting and pooping a lot more. It didn't look or smell that much differen coming out than going in. The more grazing they do, the more comes out, but the more distributed the poop is.

Quote:
I laughed out loud at this and DH wanted to know what was so funny!
lol.png

So what do you suggest I put in my run?? I'm worried about leaving my grass alone so I was wondering if I should put down some chips and shavings (not deep bedding, I just don't like that for some reason) and replace it like once a week or two and put what's used into my compost? I'm so new to this and obviously have a lot to learn any advice would be appreciated :)

I use the deep litter method and change the bedding every few weeks. So how do you separate the poop from the wood shavings? - or do you compost it all together? I'd love to start composting it!

Thanks!

With deep litter you don't change the litter but about once a year, usually in the spring. The combination of the shavings, poop, leaves [if you're using them] begin breaking down in the coop, forming the actual "deep litter". When you remove the deep litter from the coop, you use all of it as compost as that's what it's actually been doing - composting while in the coop.

Instead of changing the litter every few weeks, add more shavings on top of what you already have. New poo will disappear and you'll see the old stuff beginning to break down below it.

Back
Top Bottom