How Much do you all feed your chickens?

It's something with chickens and styrofoam!
They are secretly jealous of ducks because ducks can walk, run and fly like they can but ducks can also swim.
They know if they can eat enough styrofoam then they'll be able to float around on the ponds and then ducks will have nothing on them.

I don't know what it is about it but they also eat the foam pipe insulation as well as expending foam from a can.
And paint. They love to peck at any painted wood they find... And then there's Agnes who has a love of staples... "Ooh! Shiny!" I have fought that hen to retrieve a staple and she fought for it like it was the last crumb of food on the earth!

We only have six girls (until spring...then MORE). They eat at will. I have a bucket full of crumble for them with a couple of spouts for them to stick their heads in to eat. We used to free range them every day, but a hawk got one, and then attacked another one. So, I'm going to build a fully enclosed pen for them in the spring so they can continue to free range without concern for airborne predators.

I use measured amounts but i keep my chickens in breeding pairs or trios. 3.5 -4.5 ounces per bird per day. In the summer when i am free ranging young birds i throw them a scoop of scratch and let them find the rest of their food. This makes them extremely healthy. I change my feeds to match the seasons. From February to June its 16% layer pellets with some kalmbach hen house reserve. From June to September molt its 16% layer pellets and 2 grain scratch. September and October i use feather fixer and 7-11 scratch. November - end of January i use a mix of 7-11scratch, flock booster, hen house reserve, and whatever blue popcorn i was able to grow that year. This mixture makes your roosters more fertile and usually will get a few eggs from young hens.

Last edited:
Hello!
I am wondering how much you all feed your chickens each day (free choice, 1/2 cup, ect). Any information is appreciated. Thank you!
We have around 30 chickens. I was told to feed each laying hen 1 lb per week. They free range around the yard and compost pile 2-4 hours a day dependent on weather, otherwise they’re in their run where the can dig and scratch and eat their feee freely. It ends up being 35lb a week. In the winter, we feed half in the morning and then the other half an hour before sunset to help them get their body temp up before going to roost.

I ferment their feed, and I use slightly less then 1/2 cup per chicken per day. I also give fruit and vegetable scraps, and sprouts in the winter. I divide it into two servings: in the morning, and then in the afternoon. In the summer, I forage for wild edibles, and we grown fodder in our yard, and harvest that for them too. Right before bed they get a good handful of black soldier fly larvae. In the beastly cold winter, and when molting, I feed them a little more protein in the form of canned fish.

Back
Top Bottom