how much do you charge for your eggs?

Mine aren't laying yet, but at the store we sell eggs for a Mennonite lady who brings them in. She charges $2.50 per dozen (they were $2 up until a few months ago), and we don't mark them up at all, just sell for what she charges us.

I think organic eggs at Wal-Mart are going for around $2 per half-dozen, so people really shouldn't complain about our egg prices, although a few do. Most say it's a great price.

trish

Just curious...Are there any laws out there that prohibit the sale of eggs?

Apparently, it is illegal in some states to sale raw milk from your milk cow. Alot of small dairy farmers are getting around the laws by selling "shares" of their cows to people who want weekly milk...

It's easy enough to find out if it is illegal to sell eggs in your state - either do a google search and find out more than you want to know or call the local extension office. If they don't know the answer - they know where to call to ask.

As for raw milk, I know that in our state - Utah - it is illegal for a small farmer to sell 'shares' in his cow.

I get $2.50/dozen EASILY in far northern Utah (Logan, mostly). I offer a 'frequent layer punch card' for which my customer pays $25.00 up front. When all 10 'eggs' on the card are punched, the customer gets an 8 oz. jar of our honey. My customers can't get enough of it, I tell you.

I could raise my prices, however. I understand that the going rate at the nearby Logan's Gardeners' Mkt. is $3 - $3.50. The price of feed here has more than doubled in the past year or so due to the market distortions of subsidized ethanol production. People understand right away why prices are higher than the supermarket and don't blink an eye for obviously superior eggs.

Moral of the story: don't sell yourself short. If you provide a superior product, you will find appreciative customers.

in reference to cost of a dozen eggs of the RIR:

this is what I figured.

a hen needs a 1/4 pound of feed a day so that is 90 pounds of feed a year. laying mash here costs $11 per 50 pounds.

she produces 200 eggs at best a year so that is 16.7 dozen a year. rounding to 17 dozen eggs a year

feed costs .22 per pound ($11/50 pounds). 90 pounds eaten / 17 dozen eggs produced equals 5.3 pounds per dozen. at 22 cents per pound a dozen eggs cost $1.17. for just feed.

leghorn: probably less than a 1/4 pound of feed a day but ignoring that. 320 eggs per year. 74 cents a dozen.

red sex link at 300 eggs a year .79 cents a dozen.

my stinking cochins who lay 80 eggs a year probably cost me at least $5 a dozen (I bet they eat 1/2 a pound a day).

good thing they are so pretty
wink.png
and reminds me I really should stick with sex links
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom