How much do you feed your ducks in cups

TK Poultry

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Greencastle, Indiana
i have 9 ducks and i think i might not be feeding them quite enough. My chickens are porkers but i dont know if im feeding my ducks enough... can you tell me how many cups per duck of feed you feed

Why don't you think they are getting enough? Their size or behavior?

It will depend on the weight of your ducks, the type of feed, and if they free range for part of the day. The stuff I bought last time had feeding guidelines on the bag but I don't have the bag anymore. I have food available for my ducks all day. They don't overeat and never act like they are starving. When I measured out their food they would act like they were starving. Of course, they still get really excited when I put food out. Ducks love food almost as much as mud puddles.

I make sure there is always feed available for the ducklings. I have read that if you want to only feed them two or three times a day, to put out (if I recall the wording) as much as they can eat in 15 minutes. But I prefer to have the feed free choice. Last night, overnight, the ducklings finished all their food, for the first time. So it is a constant adjustment.

When there is ample forage for the adults, I supply 1/4 c. per bird per day, usually before I put them to bed. In the winter I just make sure the feeders are full all the time, they need to eat extra calories to keep warm. With ducklings fresh hatched to 12 weeks I make sure feeders are always full. After they are 12 or so weeks I start them on the adult ration of 1/4 per bird when there is good forage.

I ration my chickens because my chickens are horrible spoiled little things and always find away to dumb most feeders so its forced me to ration most of the time but ive never tried it with my ducks. I just think my ducks could be a little more plump. They aren't skinny but they arent like the chickens who are probably border line over weight

when not laying I give mine a cup a day and every 3rd day a extra cup . but right now they get 2 to 3 cups a day. But it also depends on your ducks size . most domestic ducks need 2to3 cups a day I think. I dont give them all they can eat so I dont have a rodent problem or moldy food on the ground which could make them sick or even kill them.

Our ducks free range during the day for forage. So, I feed them in the evening when I call them to thier pen. I let them eat all they could possibly want till I'm done with my farm chores. (about an hour) Then I take the feed away. By morning, they are hungry and ready to fill up on bugs and things they get for themselves which they happily do all day long. When the ducks are setting, they are locked in the pen all the time and get free choice feed 12/7. When we have ducklings, we keep them in a stall with feeders that are always full untill they are 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom