How much do your chickens eat? :D

rirbrahma

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
hawaii
I have 20 chickens that go through 75 POUNDS of feed per month. Is that normal?? Or are my hens Fat chicken nuggets?
LOL

I don't think that's excessive at all. Maybe ours are piglets disguised as chickens! My eight chickens and go through 50 lbs a month. I have been buying crumbles instead of the pellets and it seems like there's some waste. Mine also get BOSS in the morning and some scratch at night. They also get my kitchen scraps and their egg shells. When it's really cold I give them some oatmeal and they range the yard for an hour or so when I get home from work.

I give them all that too! LOL! I don't really mind the amount of feed as long as I get eggs
smile.png

Not a hundred percent sure, because I've never accurately recorded the amount mine eat, but that seems about right, especially if that's all you are feeding them. Also, do you feed free-choice, or not? A lot of people seem to think that free choice is ideal, but in my experience a lot gets wasted on the ground that way, and wild birds are drawn to the food, etc. I personally feed a restricted amount twice daily, and supplement with fruit, greens, BSF larvae, azolla, food scraps, etc. to keep the cost of purchased feed down and give them a fresher, healthier diet. If you are interested in using less purchased feed you might also do a little research into the Korean Natural Farming methods of chicken husbandry for some ideas and pointers.

That sounds about right - They can sure put away the feed, for sure when it's cold.
lol.png
:

Quote:
I've been doing free choice but they waste A LOT. I will definitely look into it. I feed them veggie scraps, raisins, boss, and oyster shell.

Sounds about accurate to me... my flock of 16 go through about 2.5 pounds per day... I offer free choice, plus scratch and treats... As long as I keep getting 14 eggs daily, I don't mind a bit!
wee.gif

My crew of 14 goes through 50lbs of layer pellets and roughly 20-25 of scratch in cold weather. We switched to pellets and have noticed a marked decrease in food wastage, thus we have to feed less compared to crumbles.

Last edited:
20 chickens eating 1/3rd pound feed per chicken each day is 6.7 pounds.

30 days times 6.7 pounds is 200 pounds each month.

Is there something I'm not understanding here?

Steve

I have 4 pulets that are eating about 50lbs every 2 1/2 months or so. That's about 5 lbs a month per pulet. I would say you are in good shape. Mine forge a lot, at least 5 hrs a day rain or shine

Back
Top Bottom